Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by zmuzak

Hello Everyone,

I have a question on switching on the Metra UP NW line. I notice that most switches going out of Chicago from Olgivie have metal boxes that seem to control them. Are these all controlled from UP headquarters out of state? Recently, on the inbound trip, our express train was on the local track and switched to the express track between Mount Prospect and Cumberland stations. I am wondering if anyone local controls this.

Also, further out, around Arlington Heights, I notice manual throw switches, with a whisk broom standing on the side. Are these exclusively for freight trains that do shunting to the local factories around there?

Lastly, is all the switching that occurs right out of Olgivie controlled remotely, or is that done in that building over Clinton that looks like it has a room full of pull switches in it.

Thanks a lot!s
  by doepack

zmuzak wrote:I have a question on switching on the Metra UP NW line. I notice that most switches going out of Chicago from Olgivie have metal boxes that seem to control them. Are these all controlled from UP headquarters out of state? Recently, on the inbound trip, our express train was on the local track and switched to the express track between Mount Prospect and Cumberland stations. I am wondering if anyone local controls this.
The switch leads in/out of OTC are controlled locally by Lake St. tower which is on the east (Canal St.) side of the ROW. All center track movements between Clybourn & Barrington are also controlled locally, by CY Tower, the brick building just south of Clybourn station on the west side of the ROW, next to the Kennedy Expy. The crossings at Mayfair & Deval are also controlled from here.
zmuzak wrote:Also, further out, around Arlington Heights, I notice manual throw switches, with a whisk broom standing on the side. Are these exclusively for freight trains that do shunting to the local factories around there?
The manual switches in the vicinity of Arlington Hts. are used either by MOW crews, or local freight crews to spot/pull cars for customers. Don't think much local freight service is left around there, though...
zmuzak wrote:Lastly, is all the switching that occurs right out of Olgivie controlled remotely, or is that done in that building over Clinton that looks like it has a room full of pull switches in it
I think that building on the Clinton St. side just north of the terminal leads may be used for MOW storage, but I'm not certain. I'll ask...
  by qboy

The shanty on the Clinton St. side would be MOW, B&B, and MIC personnel offices along with storage and other things. Lake St. is the tower opposite side just north of the Lake El bridge. It is complete with the original interlocking machine still used today. it is quite impressive to see when things are in full swing.