• SW1001 - 103 on the dead line?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BobLI

hello, while passing Morris Park I saw sw1001 103 on the dead line. The paint is faded, and info on its fate?

by african amerikan trains

it goin to mexico soon.

by Form 19

103 is back working Richmond Hill. She was in the shops receiving an experimental engine starting device called a "SmartStart". Apparently, it will shut down an idling engine after a predetermined period to save fuel. And is supposed to automatically start the engine by moving the reversor handle.

I can say from first-hand experience that it doesn't work well. We went up on it to try the system, and after following the steps for the SmartStart, found that it had to be started the old fashioned way.

Hopefully La-Qwanda won't have to start the 103.

by emfinite

That SmartStart thing seems to be a huge waste of money. Why install them on a 1500 or 1001 when they don't waste any fuel compared to a DE/DM30? The one installed on the 103 is "disabled" or has a "system failure" by the looks of the red light on the engine (instead of the green). What's the point of installing it if it's going to be disabled? M of E should get their priorities straight!

This is off topic, but what's the deal with that 710 prime mover in Richmond Hill? Anyone know what unit it's for or which one it was taken out of? It's turbocharged with 3,000 horsepower, but doesn't have electronic fuel injection, so it cannot be from a DE/DM30. I was trying to figure it out last night, but I'm stumped.

Joe