• Suspicious package at Great Neck, no trains east of Bayside

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by NIMBYkiller

My mom called a little bit ago to say they've been sitting at Manhasset for 40 minutes(now about one hour). I hit the scanner and it turns out there is a suspicious package at Great Neck. No trains allowed through. 1 train was cleared to Bayside, the other Broadway, both had to make all stops, both were heading eastbound. Another train was held at PW in case the train my mom is on was going to head back to PW.

Dogs are on scene as of 7:24

As of 7:37, my moms train is departing Manhasset going westbound towards Great Neck and NYC.

Another train was just cleared to signal bridge 23, wherever the hell that is.

by NIMBYkiller

Sounds like it's all clear. My mom's in Murray Hill and I'm hearing trains comming into PW.

by Clemuel

Pizza box with grease on it.

Clem

by Paul

Was it my official Sponge Bob Square Pants lunch box? I was wondering where I left it.

by Nasadowsk

Actually, it was someone parked a car older than 2 years and worth less than $50,000 in the parking lot, and someone was panicking,thinking the wave comming down Northern Blvd had finally hit Great Neck....

(and oh man oh man, I can't WAIT for it to cross the Nassau line - traffic on 25A is a LOT better without those overpriced resturants/clientele and 'valet' parking (i.e., park in the middle of the street blocking traffic and wait for some waiter/reservation desk to come out and move it 5 feet into the parking spot))

by de402

sorry it was the only pave to park my 68 Dodge Dart.... I couldn't get it started so i just decided to leave it there...

by Dave Keller

That was YOUR Dart?

No wonder my key wouldn't fit the door!

Here's a starting tip:
Put an old-fashioned clothes-pin (not the squeeze-type) in the carburetor with each leg of the pin on either side of the butterfly.

Then crank it over!!!

Did it many times and kept the clothes pin in my glove box! :wink:

Dave Keller

P.S. Now I'll have to find a NEW place to park. Perhaps Garden City?
P.P.S. As for the greasy pizza box: ya gotta stop with the pepperoni!!!! DK

by Paul

Dont forget to jumper from battery pos to the ignition side of the ballast resister, then take the screw driver and jump the two terminals of starter.
Don't wanna burn that coil out.

by BMT

de402: speaking of Dodge Darts I used to own a '72 Swinger with the Mopar ralley wheels and a set of new leafs in the back making my ride look 'mean' on the streets. Guys with Mustangs and souped up benz would want to race me. Little did they know that my Dart had the Slant 6 and not the hemi! I always turned them down so as not to get lost in their dust.

Sadly, I sold off my Dodge back in '99 not long after it got a bit of fame for appearing breifly in the film "Summer of Sam."

BTW, getting back on topic: these 'suspicious packages' usually turn out to be somebodies lunch left on the platform as they went running for the doors!

by Dave Keller

True . . . .

However one can't be safe enough.

Report ANYTHING suspicious, no matter how insignificant it may appear to you.

A lot of "bang" can fit in a small box or bag!

Dave Keller

BTW: My 1969 had the 225 slant 6: a real, strong-a$$ed engine!!!

P.S. Paul: (Remember 1-5-3-6-2-4?) My father built me a steel hand-crank that fit in the holes of the fly-wheel. I would be able to turn the engine by hand as needed to allow the ignition points to sit right on the high point of the hex on the shaft, then just slip in the feeler gauge, tighten the screw without it falling into the distributor housing and . . . voila! Another fine tune-up!

All that was left was to get out the timing gun!
DK

by Paul

Mine was a 64 with a 170 slant six, push button tranny, ralley wheels off a 72 and buckets out of my rustified 70 Charger and a red racing stripe up the hood. Dont know the S6 engine. More tork than the 273 V8. Did they end up blowing my my lunch box?