• Surviving LIRR Freight Houses

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by R36 Combine Coach

How many surviving LIRR freight stations still exist? According to Kevin Walsh of Forgotten NY the Bayside freight house still exists. I believe there was also one freight building at Broadway station on the eastbound side as well until recently.

Any others?
  by Frank

The Oakdale freight and probably the Amagansett freight depots still exists.
  by M1 9147

Amagansett does exist indeed!
  by LB

Isn't there one at Greenport as well?
  by R36 Combine Coach

I believe the Bushwick freight terminal in Brooklyn was demolished recently (2004?) but a small section may still remain.

Any other freight stations within "city limits"? Did Flushing, Queens Village, Richmond Hill/Morris Park, Maspeth and LIC ever their own freight stations?
  by jayrmli

I think you can also consider the freight house on John Street in Hicksville and the old LIRR Freight Dept. headquarters in Long Island City on the list.

Jay
  by henry6

What a great reason to ride the lines! Railfan from the seat of a train, see what is where, what was where. See how the railroad operates (really), how the equipment handles, and what real jobs employees perform. A nice summer Saturday or Sunday would be fine, but also weekdays when all is working, is great, too. Fall has beautiful color. Winter is "leafless" and you can see more and farther. Take a timetable and road map and LIRR/MTA map so that you can mark places you would like to visit, explore, or for noting picture locations. Note some lines are best ridden on weekends, others weekdays only, some best in summer and some anytime. But get out there and really see and feel the railroad. And with gas prices as they are, this summer would be a great year to do it all by train...LIRR train!
  by SwingMan

That was actually a TRAIN STATION at one point, and it survives today as a firehouse.

lirr415-Peter
  by LongIslandTool

Port Washington
Long Beach
Bayside
  by krispy

Country Life Press, and may have been one farther up north in the old wye, although that could've been a track shanty, etc.
  by nyandw

krispy wrote:Country Life Press, and may have been one farther up north in the old wye, although that could've been a track shanty, etc.
Interesting, anyone with a photo of CLPress current freight house?

Best,
Steve
  by Frank

M1 9147 wrote:Amagansett does exist indeed!
Ok. I haven't been to Montauk in a year. I hope to do it again soon though.