Railroad Forums 

• Surviving equipment

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1066608  by SpiderHill

About five or six years ago an arsonist burnt down the Lancaster Agway, the diner below the bridge, and broke in to some of the other business in the area and robbed them all in one night. Agway relocated, the property was sold and a small office park was built in its place. I'm thinking there was only one forty foot boxcar there and it had been pulled away from loading dock. I know Agaway had it for storage and discontinued using it. The boxcar was burnt to a crisp with virtually no paint left. I believe the car was cut up prior to construction of the office park. The amazing thing about this incident is the old Thayer train station across the tracks from the Agway driveway didn't get burned and still stands today.
 #1120299  by Paul

For what it's worth, Here is one of my three ex B&M GP40s.
Attachments:
GFRR 500 (ex B&M 307?)
GFRR 500 (ex B&M 307?)
500photo.JPG (90.19 KiB) Viewed 6887 times
 #1120307  by MEC407

Sharp!
 #1120458  by atsf sp

Were those HATX GP40-2s at the G&F now bought outright?
 #1120460  by Paul

Yes.
 #1124610  by RedLantern

Fletcher's Granite has at least two wooden B&M cabooses, one is at the Westford quarry and is used as an office for quarry workers. It's interior is completely stripped out so the cupola basically just makes a nice skylight. The other that I know of is a monitor-top at the Milford NH quarry, it's used for storage. Neither are visible from any public roads, and both had their trucks removed.

The Westford quarry still runs a GE centercab to push some steam-era flat cars that haul granite. The 410 in Lowell was formerly used for that purpose when the B&M leased it to the quarry, so I wouldn't be surprised if a number of the cars and maybe even the centercab were owned by the B&M at one point.
 #1130282  by CSRR573

Isnt one of the Coaches on the Old Colony & newport RR a former B&M coach?
 #1130757  by Cosmo

I remember seeing some old (Super)8mm(?) footage of the 410 being pulled out of storage at Fletcher's Quarry way back in the 1980's.
I belive the man who owned them was connected with the Wolfboro operation.
 #1295901  by jhdeasy

Former B&M lightweight sleeper SALISBURY BEACH is for sale. The owner had a sign to that effect on display inside his car during the AAPRCO convention's first night car party at Portland ME on 9/22/2014. I believe it is the only former B&M passenger car that is currently certified for mainline service on Amtrak and Via Rail Canada.
 #1348360  by arthur d.

Last time I was there, there was an old wood coach preserved next to the also preserved depot in Contoocook NH.
 #1350949  by Z31SPL

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread but at Landscapers Depot on route 125 in Kingston, NH they have a blue and red B&M caboose, a blue B&M boxcar, and a yellow MEC box car. Not sure if these are original or just painted to look the part.
 #1350978  by bmcdr

Z31SPL wrote:I didn't see it mentioned in this thread but at Landscapers Depot on route 125 in Kingston, NH they have a blue and red B&M caboose, a blue B&M boxcar, and a yellow MEC box car. Not sure if these are original or just painted to look the part.
All of Landscape Depot's equipment is genuine. The MEC boxcar is #140, the B&M caboose is #432 former, C-32, and I don't know the number of the B&M boxcar.
They also have another B&M caboose, a C-100 series car, way up back in unrestored condition, number unknown, it was for sale a couple of years ago.
 #1351113  by NHV 669

On my way up north via Route 3 to Stratford, Monday, I noticed this caboose. Was running on short time, due to family constraints. Any idea if it is of heritage to the B&M or something local?

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.5202162 ... 312!8i6656
 #1356722  by jbvb

I'll defer to local knowledge, but the modern windows & cupola give me the impression of a 1960s or 1970s International product. The body looks a little long and asymmetrical to be one of the C-100 to 137 1959 rebuilds of the 104600 series.