• Sunset LTD 4 times a week

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by BNSF 1088

I got an e mail from an Amtrak engineer i know that works the Sunset Ltd from NOLA to Lafayette LA and around April 15 2004 it will go to 4 times a week.
  by Gilbert B Norman

From car dealer's Waiting Room--

I don't know about this one Mr 1088. When I noted your posting elsewhere this morning, I reviewed the web site for a seven day period during May and after that review can only conclude 1) your Locomotive Engineer friend knows something the website doesn't or 2) he is mistaken.
  by John_Perkowski

No news...

Timetable is dated 27 October...

Only indicator is the date you mention is about the date of periodic timetable switchover.

I'll believe it when I see a news release... and the most recent news release at the Amtrak website is 17 March.
  by ohle

Gunn wants a fourth frequency, according to Rail Travel News...

http://host18.hrwebservices.net/~myjackp/mar0404.html

"David Gunn wants to see a daily Sunset, as capital money becomes available for additional equipment. A fourth frequency may be in the works for the next year or two depending upon rebuilding of equipment."

This of course doesn't mean there will be a 4th frequency; only that Gunn has expressed interest in needed daily service.

I'd go with making the Sunset daily before doing the same to the Cardinal since the Sunset, even only NOL-LA, has the third-biggest population base of the western LDs. With NOL-Fla., it's the second biggest western LD, following the Starlight.[/url]
  by Gilbert B Norman

I wonder what Mr. Ohlemeier would think of a "compromise" Daily of San Antonio-LA.

In short how feasable.

To avoid public confusion, the Daily portion should be named the Texas Eagle i.e. Eagle runs daily over its "gerrymandered' routing; Sunset runs tri-weekly NO-LA.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Raakone

What station is SAS again?

~Ra'akone
  by Gilbert B Norman

SAS San Antonio/Southern Pacific Station
SAM (no longer used) San Antonio/Missouri Pacific IGN Station

Message edited to clarify.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by John_Perkowski

Matt is one of our resident Texans...

Looking at a Texas RR Commission map (http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/divisions/rail/rail_map.html) shows me there are three routing choices (no matter whether you choose UP and predecessor lines or BNSF and predecessor lines):

Houston-San Antonio-El Paso

Houston- Bryan - DFW (pick one or both) - Oil Patch - El Paso

Houston - Dallas - Wichita Falls - Amarillo (heading towards Belen)

Which has the best route potential?

John

by mattfels

Quick answer: NONE OF THEM.

There will be no expansion without the express written consent of the Secretary of Transportation. Given Secretary Mineta's recent comments, that isn't going to happen. No point in discussing any new service until the Mineta Moratorium is ended, by one means or another.

by Chatter163

Then how did the Cardinal get extended to New York? :P
  by RMadisonWI

John_Perkowski wrote:Matt is one of our resident Texans...

Looking at a Texas RR Commission map (http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/divisions/rail/rail_map.html) shows me there are three routing choices (no matter whether you choose UP and predecessor lines or BNSF and predecessor lines):
John
Why are we talking about routing choices? The Sunset Limited already has an established route, and it won't be moving from that route any time soon (except for the *possible* short-term detour for line blockage of some sort, but even then, they'd probably cancel and use buses instead).
  by John_Perkowski

RMadisonWI wrote: Why are we talking about routing choices? <snip>
Because IMNSHO, a routing that goes Houston-San Antonio-nothing for hours-El Paso is suboptimal, and does not service the metroplex.

Of course, Matt has it right ... until Mr Mineta is out of DOT, this conversation is a moot point.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Reports at other boards suggest that 4wkly Sunset is "on ice".