Railroad Forums 

• Sunnyside Yard Construction / platform

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1624401  by STrRedWolf

west point wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:59 pm One of these days SSY is going to be overwhelmed with rolling stock. The only solution is to maybe build a second deck. Expensive YES!! As an after thought mabe do that in BOS!
Is there room to do it for the grade needed at BOS and Sunnyside... or even at WAS? I can't think of it in BOS and it'll be tight in WAS.
 #1624421  by BandA

As built, BOS had an underground station level, intended for a trolley loop, but could have been used for stub tracks. They tried a steam engine but it was too smoky. That loop was ripped out in 1972 & 1988, subsequently an extension of I-90 was built as well as a Bus Rapid Transit "Silver Line" busway, and a bus terminal and office building built above the tracks. So maybe something could yet be done at BOS with Amtrak and other electric trains.
 #1625416  by GojiMet86

west point wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:59 pm One of these days SSY is going to be overwhelmed with rolling stock. The only solution is to maybe build a second deck. Expensive YES!! As an after thought mabe do that in BOS!
Well, the city at one point was thinking of decking over Sunnyside for new apartment buildings......
 #1625494  by BandA

Not familiar with Sunnyside, but is there enough space for the elevation changes and additional tracks? Also, support posts will take up some space on the first level
 #1625520  by StLouSteve

Before decking over Sunnyside, perhaps some effort should be put into figuring out run through service between NJT and LIRR. Yes I know there are logistical issues to solve including different power systems but might be cheaper than trying to find NYC real estate for layover yards. Same thing needs to be done in Washington with MARC and VRE.