• Subway Speeds

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Type7trolley

sery2831 wrote:
diburning wrote:speed limits:

green line = 35MPH on the riverside line, highest speed limit on the green line
red line = It's 40 in the tunnel between Porter and Davis. Not sure about the section between JFK/UMass and Quincy
blue line = 40mph, (software) max speed on the 0700s.
Orange Line = I am not 100% sure, but since it's around 40 on the other lines, 40 would be a good guess here.
Green Line can faster than 35 mph on the Riverside Line, whether not there is a section available to do it any more could be up for discussion. Been a long time since I have been beyond Fenway! (Boeing fan trip I think!)

Red Line is 50 on Braintree.

Orange Line is 40.

Blue line is 40-45. The 0700s will do 45 no problem :-)
I was sitting in the front of a green line riverside train today and the speedometer was showing 40/45 on a few of the straight stretches of track
  by diburning

which would mean that the operator was speeding. I ride the Riverside line a lot and most operators don't go faster than 30 to be safe. Line speed is 35.

Also, there are spot checkers standing in some areas with radar guns to enforce speed limits.
  by l008com

I can see ME speeding down the road because i'm always in a hurry. But if you're a train driver, and your job is just to drive back and forth all day, what is the motivation to speed?
  by sery2831

Alright I think the question has been answered. We aren't here to get operators in trouble! We are here to discuss trains and operations of trains...