Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#164219  by F40

1. One of the signs that lead down to the N and R platforms at the 59 St station in Brooklyn still mention "Gravesend 86 St" as the terminus of the N. Have all other signs been fixed?

2. There is a line of freight cars that sit alongside the N line between 59 St and 8 Av when open-cut/elevated begins. Any information and is it an active freight main or track?

3. I don't recall along which station this was (I'll guess 86 St): two tracks are behind a tall fence and a yellow sign that reads "...SAFETY STOP..." (... for the words I don't remember). Details?

4. On some D line stations (i.e. Bay Parkway, 20 Av) there are yellow signs on the platform that say "Board Shuttle Trains Here". Did this line use to run shuttle trains of any kind in the past?

5. Is the center track on the elevated portion of the D used by the M line?
 #164258  by 4 Express

F40 wrote:1. One of the signs that lead down to the N and R platforms at the 59 St station in Brooklyn still mention "Gravesend 86 St" as the terminus of the N. Have all other signs been fixed?

2. There is a line of freight cars that sit alongside the N line between 59 St and 8 Av when open-cut/elevated begins. Any information and is it an active freight main or track?

3. I don't recall along which station this was (I'll guess 86 St): two tracks are behind a tall fence and a yellow sign that reads "...SAFETY STOP..." (... for the words I don't remember). Details?

4. On some D line stations (i.e. Bay Parkway, 20 Av) there are yellow signs on the platform that say "Board Shuttle Trains Here". Did this line use to run shuttle trains of any kind in the past?

5. Is the center track on the elevated portion of the D used by the M line?
1. Yes, that was just a sign that wasn't updated at that time, if you continue to see that sign outdated, tell the MTA.
2. Probably some frieght cars on the old Bay Ridge branch
3.?
4. Yes, before the 2001-2004 Manhattan Bridge north side construction the B ran on the West End line & during the late nights it ran as a shuttle between 36th St. & Coney Island.

#165187  by 7 Train

2. LIRR Bay Ridge Branch (now NYA), with several trips a week. Connects to NJ via the NYCR ferry and SBK Railroad (NYCT Freight Division).