Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Allan

TacSupport1 wrote:It's hard to tell from this photo, but the inside of this subway car (actually the entire consist) was warpped in a vinyl advetisment for MSG's "50 Greatest Sports Moments" TV special. Even the seats had been covered by th ad vinyl, and they replaced all the warning stickers as well. Wonder how much this alll cost?

http://www.x635photos.com/displayimage. ... m=23&pos=5
Actually 3 cars - 1953, 1922 and 1941. These cars are on track 1 of the 42nd St shuttle.

This is not new. The MTA sells ad space on cars running on track 1 (different xars each time) many times during the year.

About a month or so back they had the 4 cars on track 3 - 1920, 1937,1922 and 1951 wrapped for the NY Zooological Society. These wraps were not as extensive as the one for the MSG ones. The walls were the only things that had the wrap. The seats weren't. They had the large car cards as part of the wrap on the walls.

Last year around this time they had a Broadway theme wrap and just before that there was an Eddie Bauer wrap.

How much does the mTA make? That is anyones guess.
  by Allan

TacSupport1 wrote:It's hard to tell from this photo, but the inside of this subway car (actually the entire consist) was warpped in a vinyl advetisment for MSG's "50 Greatest Sports Moments" TV special. Even the seats had been covered by th ad vinyl, and they replaced all the warning stickers as well. Wonder how much this alll cost?

http://www.x635photos.com/displayimage. ... m=23&pos=5
Actually 3 cars - 1953, 1922 and 1941. These cars are on track 1 of the 42nd St shuttle.

This is not new. The MTA sells ad space on cars running on track 1 (different xars each time) many times during the year.

About a month or so back they had the 4 cars on track 3 - 1920, 1937,1922 and 1951 wrapped for the NY Zooological Society. These wraps were not as extensive as the one for the MSG ones. The walls were the only things that had the wrap. The seats weren't. They had the large car cards as part of the wrap on the walls.

Last year around this time they had a Broadway theme wrap and just before that there was an Eddie Bauer wrap.

How much does the mTA make? That is anyones guess.

by RearOfSignal

TacSupport1 wrote:Even the seats had been covered by th ad vinyl,
Yeah, I was in that car a couple of days ago, sitting in the purple seats felt great, like you had good tickets to a Rangers game, however the best place to sit for a Knicks game is at home in front of the TV, at least that way its free and you can always change the channel!!! :-)

by pennsy

Hi All,

Looks like the marketing men and sales types were working overtime on that one. However, I think I have seen a better one. Flat panel TV monitors placed in various spots on the cars, or buses, and streaming video being shown all day on it. All sorts of commercials. The story line is that every evening, via a radio signal, the Ads are changed. Sort of a TIVO type arrangement that loads up the ads on each car and bus for that day. Lot of money involved in that one.

by asyouare405

pennsy wrote:Hi All,

Looks like the marketing men and sales types were working overtime on that one. However, I think I have seen a better one. Flat panel TV monitors placed in various spots on the cars, or buses, and streaming video being shown all day on it. All sorts of commercials. The story line is that every evening, via a radio signal, the Ads are changed. Sort of a TIVO type arrangement that loads up the ads on each car and bus for that day. Lot of money involved in that one.
You have seen this already or you are suggesting it? How do you stop vandalism?

by EastCleveland

pennsy wrote:Flat panel TV monitors placed in various spots on the cars, or buses, and streaming video being shown all day on it. All sorts of commercials.
I recently visited Los Angeles, where the buses on several routes have been equipped with flat panel monitors, which do nothing but blare commercials for local businesses all day and all night long.

The volume is absolutely deafening. It's an all-out assault on the senses. And the passengers (all of whom look as if they'd like to demolish the monitors with their bare hands) can't escape.

A number of lawsuits over the flat screens are currently making their way through the Los Angeles courts. Frankly, the devices are instruments of torture and should be outlawed. The geniuses who run the MTA would do well to think twice before introducing similar advertising methods here.

-------------------------------

by pennsy

Hi All,

You are both correct. However, the driver of the bus has control over the volume of the speakers. Have him lower the sound. On the trains, with their own PA system, I have heard that there is no sound, but the commercial is close captioned. The idea is to present a commercial to you without offending you. Again lots of money tied up in this novel approach.

The flat panel monitors are secured to the vehicle. You would need a mechanic's set of tools to remove it. The bus driver still has mirrors over his head and everyone in the bus can be seen. These days they all are equipped with two way radios, and are in constant touch with their dispatchers, police department, fire department, etc. etc.

by Robert Paniagua

I was in the Deadwood train a while back when Im rode the shuttle, and I think it's a bit too extreme.