• Strates Circus Train Status in New York

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by The Man

March, The baggage car has always been a baggage car has the two CAT Gen-Sets that power the passenger cars. The older 6 axle cars have been left in Orlando and some have been scraped. As for the coach, it is LIRR 2926. Retro fitting older coaches into dorm servise is far cheaper than getting sleeprs. A coach can be had for as little as $9k. I think it is ok for me to say this now that the deal has been done, Strates is getting four new cars that are going to joing the train soon (Before the train heads south to VA). The obs car is former C&O 21. I am not sure what route the train is going to take this year. Last year the train went NS to FGLK because CSXT refused the coaches at Buffalo. I know Strates was happy with the FGLK move and it worked out real well so only time will tell.

JJ-
  by K4Pacific

Next week to W-B. Chemung starts Tuesday.
  by scharnhorst

The Man wrote:March, The baggage car has always been a baggage car has the two CAT Gen-Sets that power the passenger cars. The older 6 axle cars have been left in Orlando and some have been scraped. As for the coach, it is LIRR 2926. Retro fitting older coaches into dorm servise is far cheaper than getting sleeprs. A coach can be had for as little as $9k. I think it is ok for me to say this now that the deal has been done, Strates is getting four new cars that are going to joing the train soon (Before the train heads south to VA). The obs car is former C&O 21. I am not sure what route the train is going to take this year. Last year the train went NS to FGLK because CSXT refused the coaches at Buffalo. I know Strates was happy with the FGLK move and it worked out real well so only time will tell.

JJ-
It would be nice to see the train come up0 and go back down FGLK again. I saw it the first time last year but did not have a camera and was stuck at work on 2ed shift. Now with a new job and on 3ed shift I hope to see them again.
  by JBK3

It's that time again. . .just inquiring with the experts if anybody had any kind of time frame in regards to the James E. Strates Show train pulling into Hamburg, NY? (I've been going up to the tracks for 35 years and started taking my three nephews up there to greet its arrival - it's a long-standing tradition with me and I'd hate to miss it!)

If anybody has an estimated arrival day and/or time, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Admin note: Nothing wrong with the title, but thought I'd make it more generic to follow the train.
  by BSOR Patarak

The carnival crew was supposed to finish loading the train sometime last night. The part of the rides should be all set up at Elmira as the Chemung County Fair is now open. (That is one issue between these shows because the tear down/loading crew is utilized to drive and set up the other one, essentially cutting the crew in two). Once NS finishes all of the inspections on the tie downs and train, they have to be put on the list to depart middletown. The yard where it goes down in New Jersey to make the route back towards Buffalo is on a commuter line. They will not move it during the daylight hours on that section. They have to wait until after the commuter rush. So, my best guess is that they will try to tonight....but it could be tomorrow night. After that, it is listed as 19 hours run time towards Buffalo. NS estimates it will be delivered on Friday sometime....
  by Jeff Smith

Moving to Croxton NJ over Norfolk Southern from Middletown NY this morning 8/3, as per Yonkers Rail FB page.
  by SecaucusJunction

Looks like he just started headed East. it is now 1:45
  by terminalfanatic

Well the Chemung County Fair in Elmira, New York ends on the 7th and the trains should be loaded by that night or early the next morning. The Erie County Fair starts on the 10th. I'd put the train into the Buffalo area between the 7th and 9th. They usually work non-stop day and night to get the rides unloaded and set-up.
  by SecaucusJunction

Looks like he's past Moodna already as of 3:30
  by cnyrailfan

terminalfanatic wrote:Well the Chemung County Fair in Elmira, New York ends on the 7th and the trains should be loaded by that night or early the next morning. The Erie County Fair starts on the 10th. I'd put the train into the Buffalo area between the 7th and 9th. They usually work non-stop day and night to get the rides unloaded and set-up.
The train does not go to Elmira. Only the 'truck show' portion of Strates goes there, with an occasional ride that is usually on the train. As others have posted, the train has left Middletown, and is headed for Hamburg as I type this. Since the employees can no longer ride the train from spot to spot, some of them have already gone ahead to Hamburg, and will be there to meet the train.
  by K4Pacific

Strates Train is just off the Sunbury Main heading to Taylor in Scranton. I feel B inghamton around noon. I hope someone can spot for us working people. Should be west on the Tier this afternoon.
  by conrailsharedassets

K4 and others,

The JES Circus Train operating as an NS 9-931-04 on the CP Sunbury Sub was by CP's Taylor Yard in Taylor, PA (CPF 673) at 11:20 hours with NS 2625 and NS 9907 for power. The Sunbury Sub is packed full of trains today and its progress has been slightly delayed because of that. I would expect them into Binghamton a little closer to 13:00-13:30 or so.

Good Luck to anyone out after it!

Jim Cerulli
  by conrailsharedassets

As for the above message, PLEASE ignore the "Moderator" under my name! I am NOT a Moderator of this wonderful website. However I am a Moderator/Owner of other groups and it has become a BAD force of habit to automatically put that under my name on any posts! I apologize for any confusion and or trouble that may have caused.

Jim Cerulli
  by K4Pacific

Jim,

I wonder how many trains JES was held for at Hop Bottom. By New Milford at 1430. So 1700 Elmira? Good luck.