Railroad Forums 

• Strates Circus Train Status in New York

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#40019  by SimTrains

It's that time of year again! (my favorite) We are due for a visit from the James E. Strates Shows train. strates.com shows the following schedule:

Chemung County Fair
Elmira, New York
August 3 - August 8

Erie County Fair
Hamburg, New York
August 11 – August 22

New York State Fair
Syracuse, New York
August 26 – September 6

Anyone in the Elmira area? Please post and let me know when/where it is moving! I assume it will be into buffalo on the 9th or 10th, via the NS southern tier line. The strates train is my holy grail of railfaning, I catch it every year, either coming, or going out of the Buffalo, NY area. :D

#40078  by joshuahouse

I'm near elmira, so i'll try to give you a heads up, but I don't actually live there ane the ST line is at least 15 miles from me, there may be others around who will be able to help you more. Does anyone know where they will tie up in Elmira, I know that there used to be track closer to the fairgrounds, but that was removed, so i assume they will be on the old DLW main behind CAF? (formerly Adtranz and before that American Bridge?)

#40089  by Railroaded

SimTrains, I have have no luck with that train in the past, can you help me out and keep me posted on when and where to look for it on it's way into Buffalo? Thanks a lot. -Brian in Bflo. ([email protected])

#40123  by SimTrains

I know it will be coming via the southern tier line, just a matter of when exactly. I have the perfect stake out spot here in the village of Lancaster. The Chemung County Fair ends august 8th, weather that is the morning, or night, I'm not sure. They will need at least a day to fully pack up and get going, so I'm thinking they will be in on the 10th? However that leaves them very little time to set up for the erie county fair, which must be set by 5pm on the 11th.

If anyone has any info on the train or it's movements, please post them, or e-mail me at [email protected] Thanks!!!

Brian- Chasing the train has always been a challenge, I've been after it for over a decade now, and only actually seen it out on the main lines twice!! Catching it in Hamburg is always a safe bet. I go out every year and watch them load and unload. It was even better when the model railroad depot was open, but they have since relocated to lockport, or something. But anyway, hamburg is great, I have years worth of video of the train in and around Hamburg.

#40165  by charlie6017

Nice shots! That bottom pic is so cool!
 #40643  by BSOR Patarak

The Strates Train was loaded at Wilkes Berre, PA yesterday. As of 1900 on 8/3, the train had been delivered by CP to Binghamton and the NS was inspecting it for the move to Buffalo. The NS crew has been called, and it is estimated that there will be a 6 hour run time to Buffalo via the Southern Tier line.

The Strates web site showed a stop in Elmira for the Chemung County Fair. If they indeed are doing this one, it is by truck. That would mean that the train is only partially loaded.

Too bad it is moving in the dark....no good pictures on the Tier. Once it arrives in Buffalo, the flat car portion may need to be turned if the ride tounges are facing the wrong way for unloading. We'll have a better idea later tonight.

The BSOR is ready to pull the train to Hamburg in the early morning. For those who wish to view the unloading activities, the BSOR asks that you please respect the property owners along the tracks, no trespassing. The Hamburg Freight Station is a good place to view the activity, please watch for frequent movement of the trains as well as Strates Equipment. Also, there will be no traffic allowed on Scott Street in Hamburg to facilitate the unloading of the Strates Equipment.

Pat Connors
BSOR

#40669  by joshuahouse

They are certainly in Elmira, and as you said, they came by truck, abit disapointing, but still a very nice fair, went today to try and see the train (obviously no luck) and the harness racing, 15 heats.

#40684  by SimTrains

My brother and I went out to try and catch it, we staked out the tier from 12:30 to 3am, no luck. Perhaps they couldn't get a crew right away? Oh well, there is always Hamburg this morning! :wink:

#40726  by thannon

:( Reviewing the recording- O47 was by Waverly, NY at 23:20....

I've only seen it once in real life... really sorta upset no choo-choo at Elmira. (of course it's not my money so...)

Tom H>
 #40727  by BSOR Patarak

The train was at Silver Springs as of 0430 on 8/4. A re-crew was called for and as of 0500 was not rolling west yet. Looks like it should be mid morning arrival in Hamburg.

Pat
BSOR

#40728  by thannon

Should be good weather for it's arrival. With all the rain in the area this year, fairs must be hard pressed to make money.

Tom H>
 #40737  by BSOR Patarak

As of 0830 - 8/4, train just east of Lancaster

#40758  by smph50

:P Fair Train Just went by my house, MP 412.7 (Erie Street) at 09:38. Missed the locomotives but counted 27 loaded flats and 6 empty's. S' Scott

#40814  by fglk

I have taken a guess that the Strates Show train will show up in Syracuse on Augest 24th giveing them a day and a hlf to set up for the fairs opening on the 26th. I rember seeing show up 2 days befor the opening last summer. They arrived sometime around 3:00p.m.