• Strange box on the exterior of 1289?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by SchuminWeb

Does anyone know the function of a new box on the side of 1289? I got off of my train at Glenmont today, and noticed this shiny metal box with a hinge at the top attached to the side of that car. It's roughly centered between the blind-end door and the center door, and it's at least on the left side of the car when facing the cab. I don't know about the others.

This box was not present on 1288, nor was it on any of the other Rohr cars in that consist. Unfortunately, I got no photo of it, since the train quickly left for Shady Grove.

Anyone know what this new-looking box is for?
  by tommyboy6181

I remember a while back they were supposed to be doing body stress tests on the 1000 series so maybe that could be what the box is for. Not sure though.
  by Sand Box John

The following is on page 25 (PDF page 31) of a document that WMATA published on June 1, 2007:

"The 300 Rohr cars purchased from 1974 through 1978 had major elements in the rehabilitation program completed in 1997. Other critical components have been replaced or rehabilitated as part of the Emergency Rail Rehabilitation Program (ERRP).

The Rohr rail cars will reach thirty-five years of age between 2011 and 2015. WMATA plans to conduct an economic/maintenance analysis of the Rohr fleet. The results of the analysis will help determine the life span and replacement timetable of the vehicles."

Metrorail Revenue Vehicle Fleet Management Plan (3.38 MB PDF file)
  by realtype

Sand Box John wrote:The following is on page 25 (PDF page 31) of a document that WMATA published on June 1, 2007:

"The 300 Rohr cars purchased from 1974 through 1978 had major elements in the rehabilitation program completed in 1997. Other critical components have been replaced or rehabilitated as part of the Emergency Rail Rehabilitation Program (ERRP).

The Rohr rail cars will reach thirty-five years of age between 2011 and 2015. WMATA plans to conduct an economic/maintenance analysis of the Rohr fleet. The results of the analysis will help determine the life span and replacement timetable of the vehicles."
Its amazing that the Rohrs have thus far managed to outlast the original Breda 2000/3000 cars without falling apart.
  by Sand Box John

"realtype"

Its amazing that the Rohrs have thus far managed to outlast the original Breda 2000/3000 cars without falling apart.

The first of the 2k cars arrived on the property in 1983, the first of the 3k cars arrived on the property in 1984. The last pair of 3k cars arrived on the property in 1988. That make the 2k cars 25 years old, the 3k cars range in age between 20 and 24 years old.

The 1k cars received a total overhaul between 1994 and 1997. The first pair of 1k cars was totally overhauled 14 years ago, the last pair of 1k cars was totally overhauled 11 years ago.