• Stourbridge Railroad (Honesdale-Lackawaxen) and Proposals

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by SemperFidelis

Last I had heard, the line was being embargoed before the bridge was out (aside from the tourist run), so quick repairs probably weren't deemed necessary.

And I wish to protest the "midlle of nowhere" comment. The area in question is slightly west of the middle of nowhere. :P

by bystander

what ever hpaned tothe bL1? I saw a picture of it as a kid. Cant go their now.

by RussNelson

SemperFidelis wrote:The area in question is slightly west of the middle of nowhere. :P
That would be Shohola, which had its own tourist gravity railroad down to Shohola Glen.

by SemperFidelis

I last saw the BL1 at the engine house in Honesdale about five months ago, though it might have been longer. Probably still there as the bridge has been washed out for quite some time.

By the by, does anyone know the nature of the business located in the green (factory?) building just to the south of the tracks on the eastern end of Honesdale?

by oibu

^Sounds like you're referring to the old SJ BAiley furniture co. building? About a half mile south of the enginehouse?

by tim5405

Just a correction. It is not a BL1 it is a BL2, the green building around the engine house is a store now , then Baileys is the one a half mile or so down track, i think there is some paper printing going on in there now
Also the bl-2 is in the enginehouse keeping warm was last used in Dec, should be back out for the easter runs in April.

by blockline4180

Slightly off topic, but I was told that there is a 2 tone Erie dining car that is being readied for transport to the Stourbridge Line.. How will this car get to Honesdale, Pa if the washout is blocking access to the Southern Tier?? Hopefully the tracks and washout will be repaired by this summer!

by Steamtown Observer

Slightly off topic, but I was told that there is a 2 tone Erie dining car that is being readied for transport to the Stourbridge Line.
Pretty interesting since there are only three Erie dining cars existing today. One is in a back yard in South Carolina, one is being used as an office in Ohio and the last one is being restored in a shop in Kansas City, but is no where ready to roll.

by SemperFidelis

From the Wayne County EDC site:

Ideal Steel Supply Corp. is anxious to start using Palmyra Business Park for steel storage. Corporate officials are making regular visits to the County and working on details with the Shippers Assoc. Restoration of the Hawley railroad bridge is a major component of the overall project. A funding application for bridge repairs is with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the agency has 90 days to review the request. Sen. Specter and Cong. Carney have provided good support for the project.

by John_Henry

[quote="Steamtown Observer"][quote]Slightly off topic, but I was told that there is a 2 tone Erie dining car that is being readied for transport to the Stourbridge Line.[/quote]

Pretty interesting since there are only three Erie dining cars existing today. One is in a back yard in South Carolina, one is being used as an office in Ohio and the last one is being restored in a shop in Kansas City, but is no where ready to roll.[/quote]

And there's Erie #2999, a Buffet-Diner-Lounge in NJ , too, along Route 9.

by tim5405

Read today that the excursions will be running this Saturday. Two runs to Hawley, first run leaves at 12:30 and the second at 3:30

Just thought you should know.

by Schuylkill Valley

What about the Erie dining coach that sits at the Centre Hall passenger station in Centre Hall, Pa. ?

Yes

by thebigham

Their website:

http://www.waynecountycc.com/

Click on "Train Schedule."

by SemperFidelis

Rumor has it, and this is strictly rumor from another part of this website, that New York and Greenwood Lake is moving thier equipment to the Stourbridge Line. Perhaps they are to be the operator?

by Ken W2KB

Any reports on flood damage?