Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by SwingMan

Lots of trouble around the system. Down trees/power lines, debris, etc causing major delays.
  by pennsy

You are in the middle of it. Just got a call from my brother. He had to return to Atlanta since the plane could not land at any of the NY airports. All are closed. Read somewhere that over 400,000 are without power on the east coast. Saw a fellow trying to report on live TV about the weather at Long Beach, Long Island, from the beach. He could not stand up straight, and the cameraman was all over the place as well. Really bad news.
  by num1hendrickfan

There's 134k+ without power here on LI, really nasty weather here.
  by SwingMan

I actually had to make a long search to drop a relative off. We started at Carle Place. We saw trains at Westbury and Carle Place with nowhere to go. Next we tried Mineola, trains barked next to eachother there (Both going east). Oyster Bay train was on the eastbound # 2 track (and went up after we left) as well as a train listed going to Hicksville(???). After talking with the conductor about it, we decided to go to Garden City since things weren't moving on the Main Line.
Now the boards at Garden City were dark, so no info there. There was also a police officer protecting a broken crossing gate at the east end of the station. Luckily the train came just about on schedule and did say "Atlantic Terminal-Brooklyn" or something to that degree, and had the Atlantic Terminal announcement by the man, so that hasn't changed.
I did notice some HUGE green lightning looking blasts in the sky, and kinda wondered if that was from a sub station. Didn't see any real power problems though.
  by mark777

If this was a day to call out sick, it would have been today. I wish I knew that it was gonna be this bad. I know crews that were stuck in Huntington for the most part of the day. Port Washington did good until around 10PM or so when water started to get high around Shea interlocking. Babylon was ok, but with delays. I heard the stuff really hit the fan on the mainline around Hicksville! there was no lights at Valley Stream, Baldwin and Freeport stations. Not a good day out there.
  by SwingMan

I heard a train hit a garbage can on the Long Beach...
Main Line had alot of trees down on the tracksamong other debris.
Well I guess they'll have to shut down every time there's rain with wind....
  by LongIslandTool

These storms are an ongoing battle. The trees are the worst. Track, Substations, High Tension and ET all work around the clock cutting trees that fall on the tracks or into the wires. They often short out the high voltage signal power, which can usually be fed from another location. Then the usual high-water places cause problems along with the blowing debris, which train crews are supposed to remove where possible.
  by drumz0rz

haven't heard a train go by on the PJ branch all morning. I have a lot of friends who flew back to NY today or yesterday (I was one of them too) it's a real mess, if their flights weren't cancelled, then it was one of the scariest landings they've ever experienced.
  by num1hendrickfan

drumz0rz wrote:haven't heard a train go by on the PJ branch all morning. I have a lot of friends who flew back to NY today or yesterday (I was one of them too) it's a real mess, if their flights weren't cancelled, then it was one of the scariest landings they've ever experienced.
A lot of flights were diverted to other airports as well, so I'm sure some wound up in other destinations than they intended.
  by Head-end View

At the height of the B/S Sat. afternoon, the Hicksville Fire Dept. responded to an electrical fire at Divide Tower. That apparently caused a lot of havoc. Last evening as I drove by the Hicksville Sta. the easterly signal on station track 3 was dark (!) I'd never seen that before. And on channel-2 I heard the conductor of a Huntington bound train at Carle Place say they'd been there 2 hours and the passengers were becoming disruptive, demanding buses. Crews of various trains were also heard on chennel-3 complaining amongst themselves at the lack of information being told to them.

This was almost like an unscheduled hurricane. For several days the weather reports had been predicting a rainy, windy day, but I think no one realized it would be this bad. I can't remember the last time the winds blasted this hard against my house. Maybe the nor'easter of December 1992?
  by mark777

Well, as said on another post, expect delays tomorrow in both the AM and PM rush. And considering that it is still raining outside as I speak, it would be safe to say that whatever is flooded now will still be flooded tomorrow. I really have to say that people out there are really the pits. While this storm was worse than what was expected, people still continue to ignore everything and continue on their ways without taking into consideration of the conditions outside. The past few days, this monster storm was spinning around in the middle of the country. Meterologists were all saying that there was a big concern with flooding caused by melting snow, a saturated ground, rising river and creek levels, and beach errosion. heavy winds were expected, although not over 50MPH. In NJ, a NJ Transit train breaks down with 500 people because of flooding conditions, and all people do is complain. Same goes for the LIRR. Do you know how many idiot questions I was asked yesterday? My answer was, "did you not look outside your window today before leaving your house?" I guess they didn't notice all the trees falling and power lines falling all over the place. And there I was, taking a train into Penn station with a train load of kids going in to drink, "hey it's the week of St. Patty's Day!! It was down right dangerous outside yesterday. If people had to work, then they had to work, but to go out to drink or party? it is absolutely amazing to me that so many people take their own safety so lightly.
  by workextra

What's more amazing it here we are in a economic crisis, the MTA is threatening furloughs and these folks some without real jobs are out getting toasted! This is amazing. You could have a Hurricane/Tornado, Earthquake, ect.. And these drunks will still be coming!
  by ADL6009

workextra wrote:What's more amazing it here we are in a economic crisis, the MTA is threatening furloughs and these folks some without real jobs are out getting toasted! This is amazing. You could have a Hurricane/Tornado, Earthquake, ect.. And these drunks will still be coming!

gimmie a break. if unemployment is 10% then that means 90% of people are employed. what are they supposed to do? sit at home and feel sorry for everyone else and not have any fun??
I think the recession is technically over anyway. we're not living in a post nuclear holocaust, its not THAT bad, we're allowd to go out and have a good time, even if it is raining outside.