Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Mr GP10

What is the latest news concerning this engine? Is it almost ready to run? If this engine were to run where would it run to?

by NIMBYkiller

On Saturday, boiler pipes were removed for inspection.

Also, some of the interior needs to be replaced, and more modifications need to be done.

To make a long story short, that baby aint no where near runnin condition.

When they do get er working, they plan to use it to carry passengers in the P72s that they have between their Riverhead and Greenport sites. However, they need to build the turntable at the Riverhead site and need to fix the turntable at the Greenport site before the train can start running.

by point88

How would they run a train between Riverhead and Greenport? Don't they have to be qualified by the rules department? Doesn't it break some union rules too? I don't think the MTA would ever let them do that.

by Richard Glueck

Silly boy! Don't you remember? The MTA is going to abandon the Greenport line!

In all seriousness, it is good news to hear of work beginning on 39. IRC, she's in pretty good shpe to begin with, so repairs, while necessary for safety, operating considerations, etc., will bring her up to excellent standards. I think the Unions might be able to overlook a tourist train, or volunteer staffers, retirees, etc. In truth, I don't know, but am speculating.

Even if the LIRR can't operate her, there are lines in Jersey and Pennsylvania that will crave an operable G5. This is all good news.

I am in hopes that we see 35 start to get retubed, reflued, etc. I would like to see 35 reassembled as far as it can be towards operating status.

by Dave Keller

Here's a nostalgic view of #39 passing through "rural" Hicksville in 1937.

Hopefully it will repeated on the main line between Riverhead and Greeenport in the somewhat-near future.

I look forward to it as well as the #35 seeing service again.

Dave Keller

by Paul

I hope Don doesn't mind me posting these photos. He sent these to me Saturday. He is nice enough to keep me posted on the doings of RMLI and has been a blessed rivet counter for my live steam LIRR G5s as I am way out here in Souther California. Not sure of any names of the people in the pictures. Perhaps Don can fill those in.

Flues and tubes aren't removed for inspection, they are replaced out right as mandated by federal law, and only have a boiler life of five years, operated or not.

by NIMBYkiller

BENDER RULES!!!!(This is the Brooklyn bound B train making whatever the hell stops I want).

Let's see. In the first pic(taken by Don I think) is I believe Bruce on the far left and Nobby on the far right. Not sure of the 2 guys in the center. The guy in black though kept falling asleep, lol.

The second pic is Nobby cutting one of the pipes with a blow torch(pic taken by me).

3rd pic is Bruce(left) and Don(right) pulling one of the boiler pipes out and hooking it to the crane generously donated by North Fork Welding(I took this pic from the RS3 in front of engine 39)

4th pic is the crew guiding the pipe down to the ground(Took this pic from the P72, which was pretty tricky to climb into)

by emfinite

And here's another random shot from last year's Railfest, just for kicks!

Jared, Don, and I.

by bluebelly

point88 wrote:How would they run a train between Riverhead and Greenport? Don't they have to be qualified by the rules department? Doesn't it break some union rules too? I don't think the MTA would ever let them do that.

Crewing is the least problem. Yes they would have to be qualified on the Operating Rules as well as the Physical characteristics of the RR. I am sure there would be no shortage of qualified LIRR Engineeers and Conductors who would gladly take the time to learn how to fire and operate a steam engine. If I am wrong then a steam qualified crew could be "borrowed" from say Steamtown or Essex and a pilot could be used. Regardless there is a lot of work ahead before they have to worry about crewing 39.

by Paul

Nimby: lets learn and use proper nomenclature for locomotive parts. Tubes and Flues. Not "pipes". Pipes carry water, gas, oil, etc. Flues and tubes carry hot gasses from the fire box to the smoke box and transfer heat to the water to make steam.

by scopelliti

Hey! Yo! Me! Me! I can run the 39! Pick me! Please!

Well, at least I did take the "Your hand on the throttle" class at the Valley Railroad in Essex, Connecticut (and yes, it was definitely a great time!)

http://www.valleyrr.com/

by n2qhvRMLI

Hello All,

First off, we should probably move this thread over to the RMLI page in the RR.Net Forum.

Paul, thanks for posting the pix, I e-mailed them to “enfinite” this morning and asked him to put them up on your original posting, “What’s up with #39?” You beat us to the punch Brother!

Credit for most of the photos goes to Jared, “NIMBYkiller.” I asked him to be the official digital photographer of the day so we could get some shots on the Web. He did a great job and we had the opportunity to get him into the Belpaire Firebox for a few shots. (Please hold all comments regarding throwing NIMBY into the firebox – LOL - :-D )

Joe, go ahead and post all eight of the pix over on the RMLI page of RR.Net and I’ll continue with my commentary over there. We need to give credit where credit is due for the fine work session that took place on Saturday.

See you there, Don
n2qhvRMLI

by belpaire

Paul wrote: Flues and tubes aren't removed for inspection, they are replaced out right as mandated by federal law, and only have a boiler life of five years, operated or not.
Actually tubes and flues are removed for inspection. After the boiler interior is inspected, the tubes can be 'safe ended', where a piece of tube is welded on to make up for the length lost due to cutting it out, and reused if it is in good shape. The tubes only need to be removed once every 1472 operating days or 15 years which ever comes first, under the current regulations.

Glad to see work is being done on 39 again. I know I am one of many waiting to see the day fire graces the fireboxes of either LIRR G5.

Roger

by Paul

See??? Ya' learn sumptin every day. Forgot they changed the rules. About time.

by n2qhvRMLI

Ahhhh So!

The more knowledgeable members of the work party said some of the tubes we removed were “safe ended.” The welded seam was obvious in those tubes! That means LIRR craftsmen, probably at Morris Park Shops, had done just what “belpaire” describes above!

The tubes are in “not bad” shape, but under the circumstances – 50 years out of service - we’re not taking chances on the old ones. New tubes will go into #39.

“belpair” – thanks for the explaination!

de Don, n2qhvRMLI