Railroad Forums 

• Steam Engine #35 in Salisbury Park, East Meadow location?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1590847  by Pensyfan19

photobug56 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:05 pm Does 35 still exist?
Currently under restoration at the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum (and at a much quicker pace than 39 in Strasburg I suppose...)
 #1590855  by RGlueck

"Currently under restoration at the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum (and at a much quicker pace than 39 in Strasburg I suppose...)"

My understanding is the 35 will be cosmetically restored to its static display condition. The plan seems to change as the calendar moves along. The 39 is planned to be restored to operational status. I have personally sent both group what donation I can afford, and it's modest, but I've done something to make both events happen.
I have a personal history with both locomotives and I'm deeply disappointed that neither has grabbed the traction they deserve. If fully restored, both G5's would be able to operate on rails close to Long Island, and possibly on LIRR track as well, although the MTA says "No" at the moment.

I have to make the appeal once again to the field, make a donation to either or both groups. Designate the funds for the specific locomotive and no other purpose. RMLI needs to raise about $600,000 more and OBRM less than that, to achieve their current goals for the G5's. If 600 people gave $1,000 each, RMLI would be there.
Please consider what you can do as an individual or business, and make a tax-deductible donation now.
 #1590865  by belpaire

RGlueck wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:14 am RMLI needs to raise about $600,000 more and OBRM less than that, to achieve their current goals for the G5's. If 600 people gave $1,000 each, RMLI would be there.
Richard, where is the $600,000 figure coming from? As of 2022. RMLI would have to send Strasburg just under $1.4 million. The last total I see listed for the 39 fund is $244,000, leaving over $1.1 million to go. Their number is from last year but I would imagine they would have let the world know if they added over $1/2 million. Hopefully I just missed the announcement.