• Steam Back on LI in October?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by SwingMan

Apparently RMLI will be hosting a famous steam engine, but not a K4 or a G5. Apparently Thomas The Tank Engine will be visiting RMLI in October. I don't have the info handy, but I'm pretty sure this isn't the steam engine we thought we'd see running on the LIRR.

I wonder if they'll make a joke of it and run it through Jamaica during rush hour..I'm sure that would turn heads..
  by Amtrak7

Is this a joke? Such a complicated operation would probably need to be planned several months in advance. Don't know what the height of this engine is, but having to route it via Selkirk, Hudson Line, Oak Point, and Fresh Pond would cost LOTS of $$$.
  by n2qhvRMLI

Evening Gents,

The only Thomas steam engines running at the RMLI over Columbus Day weekend 2011 will be wooden and Lionel. No live steam or diesel pushed prototypes.

The RMLI will be hosting a "Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends Play Date" from 11 AM to 3 PM on Saturday and Sunday, October 8 & 9. This is a new event that involves "Thomas" play areas, craft areas, a video theatre, a book reading spot, Sir Topham Hat played by our RMLI Aide de Camp, a Pumpkin Patch Express train ride, (World's Fair Train ride to a pick-your-own spot on the route for the small fry), a pre-Holiday "Thomas the Tank Engine" store and all the other usual RMLI attractions. Regular admission prices prevail.

The RMLI did explore an official "Day Out With Thomas" event about ten years ago. The Museum would have to have minimum: one and a half miles of track, coaches and a push/pull diesel to do the work. As we have none of those things and since HIT Entertainment will not display a Thomas Engine without operation the whole event is out of the question on Long Island at this time.

If you have small children who love Thomas, RMLI will be the place to be on October 8 or 9 - do come!

Thanks for the interest,
de Don n2qhvRMLI

Don Fisher, President
Railroad Museum of Long Island
  by Doc Emmet Brown

If this is true.. and i suspect its not, Thomas is a very small engine, would not pose any clearence problems.
Its small enough that I suspect it it sometimes transported by truck .
Opps posted this while The above respose was submitted.. never mind ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEt3ak6u ... re=related
  by n2qhvRMLI

Doc, you are correct 100%. ALL of the Thomas "steam" engines are transported from event to event by over-the-road tractor trailer, even the live steam version.

Most of the "Thomas" units are dummy engines and the event consist must be push/pulled by the host organization's road power. Strasburg Railroad Company has built at least one live steam, prototypical "Thomas" and that too goes from event to event by heavy haul tractor trailer.

That live steamer was built from a H. K. Porter, Brooklyn Eastern District Terminal steam engine similar to our BEDT #16 at Riverhead RMLI, (I don't recall the number, ?? #12 ??, someone on the Forum might).

de Don n2qhvRMLI
  by SwingMan

Ha I was mis informed. Sorry guys!
  by Morisot

But it was pretty interesting! Had me checking out the Thomas the Tank Engine site and events calendar--and thinking what a hoot that would be to see Thomas chugging through Mineola!
  by Cannon Ball

In answer to DeDon's question: Tommy the Tanker from Strasburg is ex-BEDT #15, which went to the stillborn Southern Appalachian Ry from Brooklyn, then to the Toledo, Lake Erie & Western tourist line in Waterville, Ohio where it was stored unserviceable for decades 'til Strasburg bought it and rebuilt it into Tommy. Not much left that looks like BEDT besides the cylinder saddle and the couplers...
  by Doc Emmet Brown

"But it was pretty interesting! Had me checking out the Thomas the Tank Engine site and events calendar--and thinking what a hoot that would be to see Thomas chugging through Mineola"
I would even make a trip back to Ny to see that..

We Had a saying on the RR... Mineola is indian for "Land Of Many Lawyers" ..it even sounds true...lol
  by n2qhvRMLI

Hello Cannon Ball!

Thank you for that info. I've seen "Tommy" on a number of occasions at Strasburg bit never bothered to get his linage, this is all Good Stuff!

de Don n2qhvRMLI
  by jayrmli

Just as a clarification, before the engine was rebuilt into Thomas, it was offered as a donation first to RMLI, (I was in the capacity at the time to receive such an offer), but the terms by the donee were so onerous, that the engine could not be accepted by RMLI.

Thus...Strasburg rebuilt her, and the rest is history!

Jay