• Steam allowed on NS tracks?

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

by stash

Hello all. I'm new here.

I know that NS quit their steam program in the '90's. My question is will they allow another steamer to run on their tracks?
I live in Cleveland Ohio, and the last time I remember a steamer going through was about twenty years ago. Can't even remember whose it was. I watch Youtube videos with sweet disappointment knowing that the biggies all run out west.

I understand that insurance costs and such are high, but I guess what I really want to know is why doesn't 3985, 844. 4449, 261, etc, ever venture out my way? Surely one of them could make it out this way occasionally? Is Norfolk Southern or CSX preventing this? If so many steam fans are really deprived compared to those out west.
  by atsf sp

I would think they would allow the trains but look at the engines you mentioned:3985, 844 = UP, 4449 = SP, 261 = Milwaukee. These engines never operated in that territory and even east of the Mississippi. But UP 3985 actually did make a run out east painted in Clinchfield colors. It ran to Easton, PA. Strausburg runs out to the Keystone Corridor. So they have allowed trains to run on their tracks, and just would not be acurate to have alot of these steamers out of their own territory.
  by RS115

NS is very anti-steam - they cite insurance but pretty much just don't want to be bothered. They won't even let Steamtown use the wye at the NS/DL interchange when they run that far forcing the steamer to run tender first all the way back to Scranton.
  by stash

RS115 wrote:NS is very anti-steam - they cite insurance but pretty much just don't want to be bothered. They won't even let Steamtown use the wye at the NS/DL interchange when they run that far forcing the steamer to run tender first all the way back to Scranton.
This is what I'm getting at. So if I want to see or ride big live mainline steam, I have to go to it. It won't be coming my way anytime soon or ever. The Southern Pacific 786 is being rebuilt from the ground up. Will it come my way? I doubt it.

I guess I just live in the wrong area, but I can't see taking a week or more of vacation, driving 1000 plus miles, (let alone flying) and spending upwards of 1000 dollars on gas, lodging, and a ticket to ride on an excursion. UP 3985 is the dream, but I guess I'll settle for Youtube videos. :(
  by bystander

when was the Up chakkenger in Eason Pa.?
  by atsf sp

1992 so a while. Haven't they said they would allow the PRR K4 being rebuilt to run on their tracks. They are rebuilding it in Altoona.
  by bystander

Strasburgh runs TO the amtrack kyestone coridor but n ot on it, are there any pictuers of 3985 in Easton, I use to live in a group home near their.
  by atsf sp

The top picture on railpictures.net is 3985 in Easton.
  by bystander

I couldnt fine the ficture of 3985 in easton, what page?
  by atsf sp

I'm not sure if it is on any page but go to the home page and the 4 pictures on the top starting with the CSX engine. It is the third over, the only steam engines. I know that is in easton because I have railfanned NS at the spot. Small pic but there.
  by bystander

doesnt look lioke any of the bridges in Easttn to me it 's too new.
  by atsf sp

Isn't that the mainline bridge behind the big steel bridge?
  by Typewriters

I think the original question has been answered fairly well; if we're going to go into years-ago operations of UP steam on Eastern roads, let's start a new string so that people searching for that kind of information in the future can find it more easily and/or so that people reading now will 'tune in' if they are interested or have something to add. Thanks!

-Will Davis