Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

Very cheesy indeed, that was sure tough. At least include stations with more than one possible answer like River Grove or Lake Forest to make it just a little more challenging...
  by computermodeler

Hard to please everyone -- I can see from the logs that many people just give up (or simply have low tolerance for cheesiness). On the other hand, there are people like you that have memorized every station.

I added some more to the mix.
  by doepack

Ah, so you're the creator. Very cool. New quiz is a little better (liked the "Carol Stream" trick question- I left it blank).

Just curious: Excluding the perfect scores, what's the average score of the rest of those who finish?
  by byte

Time for another quiz question:

One Metra station's page on their website does not show a photo of the station itself, but instead one of a bar. Which station is this?

(it's cheating if you go looking on their website for it on purpose!)
  by doepack

I started to cheat, but honestly, I wouldn't even know where to begin, so I'm stumped. Don't keep us in suspense too long...
  by computermodeler

doepack: Ah - right you are about Carol Stream. That was an unintentionally trick question. I thought for sure I saw that one on UP-W on metrarail.com, but now of course they'e halfway down as they often are and I can't get access to their system map. (which means I also can't cheat on Byte's question)

So, Carol Stream's been changed to Wheaton. Thanks for the catch!

About stats, I don't record people's scores. I just happened to notice that far more start the quiz than finish.
  by byte

doepack wrote:I started to cheat, but honestly, I wouldn't even know where to begin, so I'm stumped. Don't keep us in suspense too long...
Answer: Flossmoor on the electric. Here's the station page: http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps ... SMOOR.html

The station itself is typical "electric" - island platform, with access provided by a tunnel underneath the right-of-way. The "station" in the photo is actually the Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery, a neat little railroad-themed brewpub which produces some of the best craft beers in the area. The building it's in was the local IC commuter stop after the line was put on an embankment, but before high-level platforms were installed.
  by JamesT4

I Like it.

One Correction on the Trainset part the EMD MP36 you got EMD on it, it was built by Motive Power, or MPI for short, other than that I am enjoying it.
  by computermodeler

Whoops!! Thanks for the correction, JamesT4! It's now fixed.

You know, it's funny: I didn't know, so I googled "EMD MP36" and a lot of hits came up, so I assumed that must be correct. (Of course, re-checking now, "MPI MP36" also has a lot of results.)