Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by alcoc420

Does anyone know why Pilgrim coal loading was designed for an eastbound train? Kings Park was designed for westbound trains largely because of topography and the shape of the campus. I am not sure about CI.

by Nova55

I coulda swore at PSH you needed to do an EB pull into the spur and reverse onto the trestle, if it was a WB then the locmotive would end up onto of the trestle before the cars. CI would be anythign since it had its own runaround on the north end.

by Dave Keller

If a freight headed locomotive-first up the PSH spur, it would branch westbound off the spur south of the power house and head to the stub. This stub track had a 10-car capacity.

Then a back-up move eastbound onto the trestle, cars first.

When emptied, the locomotive headed west to the stub, then reverse and back the train westbound off the PSH spur and out onto the main.

Nose in . . . . back out!

PSH had no means to turn a locomotive nor did it have a "run-around" track.

Same with passenger trains. They nosed into the station, discharged visitors, then backed out onto the main and headed to Ronkonkoma to run the engine around the train and layup for the return trip. Then, backing up the spur to the station, it would pick up passengers, then nose out westbound for the return trip to Jamaica.

Dave

by Legio X

You can still see the station at PSH, although it is overgrown and in the middle of nowhere.

by Habadacus

The nearby Edgewood spur was also set for Eastbound approach, yet it had no stub to reverse cars onto the trestle. How did Eastboand coal get turned around to back into that spur?

by Dave Keller

This is only a guess on my part, but I'd say it was possible that the eastbound locomotive was run around the train at Deer Park via the passing siding then backed up onto the spur and then onto the coaling trestle.

Dave

by dukeoq

Very good guess , Dave.
These moves were not made on the westbound trip.
Empties were stored, head out, overnight and picked up the next day.