• Spur that parallels the Main Line east of Woodside to NYCRR

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Lirr168

Dave,

Bene facis indicii (or as we say in English, thanks for the info!)

by Dave Keller

To update the language a bit . . . . prego.

I can't remember "you're welcome" in Latin. :wink:

Italian will have to suffice.

Dave Keller

by dukeoq

Bingdude referes to a siding east of Jamaica on the Montauk Branch (there is no Babylon branch)
I'm sure he means west of St. Albans on #2 (eastbound) track.
That would have been the old "waterworks " switch.
At one time, several customers were served in that location and a crew could get lost in there for quite some time doing thier switching--or--whatever. :wink:

by Sir Ray

dukeoq wrote:Bingdude referes to a siding east of Jamaica on the Montauk Branch (there is no Babylon branch)
I'm sure he means west of St. Albans on #2 (eastbound) track.
That would have been the old "waterworks " switch.
At one time, several customers were served in that location and a crew could get lost in there for quite some time doing thier switching--or--whatever. :wink:
Was that siding parallel and to the west of 180th St. (and perhaps embedded in it too? Was there some sort of Glove manufacturer there at one time (I remember 10 or so years a long siding and some abandoned/semi-used factories in the area West of the St. Albans yard, but not now, as 180th st has been recurbed and repaved, and the area cleared up somewhat).
  by dukeoq

I think that Sir Ray is referring to a customer called Giove, who did not manufacture hand shoes, but collected and shipped waste paper.
Other sidings along that track included Assosiated Stores and Elmhurst Farms.
Elmhurst Farms was the last to take cars in the waterworks, in the early 90s. Covered hoppers of plastic pellets, used to make milk bottles, were delivered inside a gate, inside a yard owned by another company. (The name of that company escapes me at the moment.) That company occasianally took a tank car of some chemical fluid.
Elmhurst Farms was forced to stop taking cars there when the NYC Sherrif's Dept. took over the yard for impounded cars. They got very antsy whenever we would come to place or pull a car without an appointment.
Eventually, Elmhurst was told to find another location.

by Dave Keller

Hi JJ:

I like that: Hand shoes

Handschüe.

Haven't heard gloves referred to in that way since my days of High School German

Are you of German descent or did you just work with those that were? There were a lot of Germans working on the LIRR in years past.

Dave Keller
  by dukeoq

My Grandmother was from Germany, but that had nothing to do with the term.
Railroad slang for gloves was "hand shoes"
We would no more climb on box cars without them than we would without shoes on our feet.
  by Sir Ray

dukeoq wrote:I think that Sir Ray is referring to a customer called Giove, who did not manufacture hand shoes, but collected and shipped waste paper.
That may very well be correct, as I was there once over 10 years ago (I don't know why, as I live only 5 miles away, and from time to time had reason to be in the area, but it was one of those 'Oh, I'll get around to it' deals which, by the time I got back, the entire area was redone...
I remember the Giove sign on a light colored building -correct?

by dukeoq

Sir Ray writes, "I remember the Giove sign on a light colored building -correct?"
????????? It's been a while. JJE

by Sir Ray

dukeoq wrote:Sir Ray writes, "I remember the Giove sign on a light colored building -correct?"
????????? It's been a while. JJE
No Excuse - why didn't you memorize the area? :-D

Well, serves me right for not returning to visit an interesting area right in my backyard before the NYCDOT got it's grimy little hands on it and made the road smooth and passable and the sidewalks and curbs non-buckled and crumble free...