• Sprinter ACS-64 Electric Loco: Siemens.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ThirdRail7

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:One feature that I noticed in South Station today, is that the ACS-64 has a security camera facing the passenger cars on the train and a monitor on the right side of the cab, pretty neat feature as the engineer can be constantly?? seeing the train, and who is coming up to his cab. Very neat looking locomotive. Was resting on Trk 9 when I came across her this morning
In addition to the cameras, if someone enters from the trailing cab, an alarm will go off in the active cab. Here is a better view of the dash with a little camera demonstration at the end. Take a quick look, because I'm pulling it soon.
  by morris&essex4ever

25Hz wrote:There is also MARC and SEPTA that will i think be looking to replace their locos with the ACS-64, so who knows going forward how that might affect amtk delivery time frames. There's been speculation by myself and others that the commuter agencies would use a slightly lower power or differently equipped (motors, transformers) version, as their trains are run differently and are typically not as long/heavy, so who knows at this point about that either. Gotta wait and see. :)
MARC ordered new diesels and SEPTA is getting Silverliner V's.
  by Matt Johnson

MARC still has 125 mph express trains, right? I doubt they'd want to go all-diesel and lose those, but who knows. If Amtrak doesn't keep the HHP-8's around, I do wonder what that means for MARC's fleet of 6 HHP's (which is maintained and operated by Amtrak). Might Amtrak's HHP-8 fleet become a good supplement/spare parts source for MARC?
  by ACeInTheHole

Lease returns Matt, theyre not just gonna be sitting around the backshops. MARC would have to buy them outright before they even consider picking them apart, if the situation with their ailing AEM7s is any indications any Amtrak HHPs MARC picks up will likely put 4900-4903 out of their misery instead of being parts sources. What is the reliability record of the MARC HHPs? are they good?
  by CNJGeep

beanbag wrote:What is the reliability record of the MARC HHPs? are they good?
HAHA
  by ACeInTheHole

CNJGeep wrote:
HAHA
I knew the answer was going to be no, I just dont know much about the MARC HHPs, I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. Whats worse? The AEMs or the HHPs (speaking strictly MARC)?
  by Matt Johnson

Any chance the HHP's could end up in Lithuania?
  by Nasadowsk

Matt Johnson wrote:Any chance the HHP's could end up in Lithuania?
No. Lithuania's system is Broad gauge, anyway.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

ThirdRail7 wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:One feature that I noticed in South Station today, is that the ACS-64 has a security camera facing the passenger cars on the train and a monitor on the right side of the cab, pretty neat feature as the engineer can be constantly?? seeing the train, and who is coming up to his cab. Very neat looking locomotive. Was resting on Trk 9 when I came across her this morning
In addition to the cameras, if someone enters from the trailing cab, an alarm will go off in the active cab. Here is a better view of the dash with a little camera demonstration at the end. Take a quick look, because I'm pulling it soon.
Thanks for posting that video ThirdRail7, very awesome feature indeed!
  by ThirdRail7

I'm sure I'll regret this, but if you have a few hours tonight, don't live too far from "race track" and don't mind burning the midnight oil, you'll capture some great footage (if all goes according to plan.) If you're really a night owl, you may want to hang out in Torresdale, Pa.
  by NHAirLine

25Hz wrote:
Thomas wrote:How likely is it that at least three of these new locomotives go into revenue service by Thanksgiving of this year?
It's my thinking that the only one that might see revenue service by then would likely be 602 since it's been up and down the NEC. It's still limited to 90 mph, so that might see it hauling trains that have lot of padding or LD's that are all ready limited to 110 due to the heritage cars, or they may take the speed restriction off before then (who knows?). Has 602 even been out to hbg yet? I'm thinking they have the keystones with the few cab car compatible AEM-7's so they may pop it on a pennsylvanian instead if it were to go out that way as to not displace the cab car compatible toasters from the rotation (just a hypothesis).

I would love to see 4 in service by at least xmas, and 5 by the end of the year, but who knows how realistic that is.

There is also MARC and SEPTA that will i think be looking to replace their locos with the ACS-64, so who knows going forward how that might affect amtk delivery time frames. There's been speculation by myself and others that the commuter agencies would use a slightly lower power or differently equipped (motors, transformers) version, as their trains are run differently and are typically not as long/heavy, so who knows at this point about that either. Gotta wait and see. :)
Since when are commuter runs shorter/lighter? I see some pretty heavy double deckers on MARC... And SEPTA is a degenerate pile of garbage, so I doubt they would get getting anything soon since they seem to run all EMUs. If anything, MARC would snap up HHP-8's and toasters, given how cheap they are going to be.

There's no way in hell that they would put a loco in partial service. It would have to be fully tested before it's accepted, and accepted before it's in revenue service.
  by ApproachMedium

ThirdRail7 wrote:

The cameras shut off at speeds above 3mph. They really are only useful to see low speed spotting of trains or maybe to see if anyone is coming up along side the train at night.
  by lirr42

Sounds like a fancy electronic mirror that will be broken on half the locomotives by this time next year.
  by CNJGeep

beanbag wrote:
CNJGeep wrote:
HAHA
I knew the answer was going to be no, I just dont know much about the MARC HHPs, I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. Whats worse? The AEMs or the HHPs (speaking strictly MARC)?
AEMs got work done at Wilmington. Whether that made them better or worse than the HHPs is debatable.