• South Jersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

Train runs daily (usually in evening as you noted- daylight action very rare) from Millville to Pavonia yard (Camden) and return. CSAO symbol I believe is MI-61.

Line sees more action north of Woodbury where junction with Penns Grove secondary is. Daily trains from Penns Grove/ Paulsboro are daytime runs.
  by JohnFromJersey

Return to Reading Company Olney Sta wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:23 pm Train runs daily (usually in evening as you noted- daylight action very rare) from Millville to Pavonia yard (Camden) and return. CSAO symbol I believe is MI-61.

Line sees more action north of Woodbury where junction with Penns Grove secondary is. Daily trains from Penns Grove/ Paulsboro are daytime runs.
Where do these trains go? They are not throughfare trains, since the lines do end at some point, but what industries do they serve?
  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:54 am @JohnFromJersey Hope this helps. Only thing is it might not be 100 percent up to date.

http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/C ... in_Symbols
For quite an active line, this South Jersey thread isn't very active. Anyone here in South Jersey? I'm on Rowan University campus twice a week and can't reliably get a good view of the tracks/trains.
  by Bracdude181

As far as Rowan goes there’s a few trains that go past there. CA-11 comes through very early in the morning and goes back very early in the afternoon, getting back to Camden by 1 PM or so to my knowledge.

CA-11 sometimes has CSX 1707 (SD40E3) on it. Really nice engine.

MI-61 gets out of Millville around 4:15 PM but I don’t know when they get up to Glassboro/Woodbury Junction. You sure as hell will hear it coming though as long as NS 5278 is in the front. They may have swapped that engine by now though. No idea when they come back.

Southern Railroad of New Jersey parks their engines (100 and 102) at Woodbury Junction as well but they only run maybe once every three weeks at most? It’s not very often.

I don’t know what else goes through there.
  by Bracdude181

Does anyone know what the schedule is for Winchester and Western? How many trains they run per day and where said trains go?
  by JohnFromJersey

Can confirm that there's at least one train a day somewhere between 5:30 and 6 PM through Rowan University. I will try to get some footage next time I'm down there.
  by Bracdude181

That’s MI-61
  by Bracdude181

MI-61 left Millville at 4:25 PM

NS 5279 leading
NS 5278 trailing
20 cars, mostly hoppers.
  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:08 pm It would appear that some effort is being made to make a better rail connection at the Port of Salem, on the SRNJ Salem Branch…

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ ... des--65215
There are a lot of ports in south NJ. The Port of Salem has rail connections but it looks like the rails are seldom used and in poor shape. The Port of Paulsboro has a pretty large rail connection and receives a lot of oil and fuel shipments.

In the NJTPA PowerPoint I shared in the other threads, they did mention the need for more intermodal facilities in South and Central NJ, so good to see them getting towards that goal.
  by Bracdude181

As far as Salem goes, the intermodal traffic there is brought in by truck then transloaded into 20 foot containers (provided the cargo isn’t transloaded before reaching the port) before being loaded on a ship named the Bermuda Islander, run by this company.

https://www.bermudaislander.bm/company_profile.html

Additionally I also found this study:

https://www.sjtpo.org/wp-content/upload ... y-2018.pdf

Will be interesting to see if anything comes of this.
  by riffian

The photo in the Progressive Railroading article depicts the Port of Camden, not Salem. I doubt that any kind of increased intermodal at Salem would include dockside rail.
  by JohnFromJersey

riffian wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:32 pm The photo in the Progressive Railroading article depicts the Port of Camden, not Salem. I doubt that any kind of increased intermodal at Salem would include dockside rail.
The report mentions Port of Salem specifically many times. Technically, Camden is part of the "Port of Salem Corridor" that they discuss in there.

It would be quite difficult to get dockside rail with how narrow the port is, as it's constrained by the road next to it and the Salem River. It's possible, since there already is rail there, albeit it seems like it isn't used.

That being said, you could build new port facilities in the blue area marked on this image: https://imgur.com/a/yAOlQQT, and/or expand across the street from the current port facility marked in pink. You could also potentially have more room for ships if you got rid of the land in the middle of the "loop," but I'd imagine that it is environmentally protected.
  by CharlieL

Wow! More past studies. If half the money spent on studies had been allocated to actual rail instead, all this stuff would have been done.