Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by emfinite

Hi all,

Does anyone have pictures from the old South Farmingdale train station on the Central branch? I am looking for more information on it as to when it opened and closed as well. Thanks in advance!

Joe

by Legio X

I believe it's still shown as a station in Hagstrom atlases.

by NIMBYkiller

Niether my 1995(suffolk county) nor my 1997(nassau county) Hagstroms show South Farmingdale.

by Dave Keller

The South Farmingdale station was opened as a wooden shelter-shed only, with low, cinder platform in June, 1936.

It remained in use until, I believe, the 1970s.

I have a side view taken of it from behind the platform with a man posing in front of it with his old-style bicycle, c. 1940s.

I haven't seen any other shots of it, however I'm sure they must exist.

I don't have a scanner so I can't scan it. If interested in a hard copy of the photo, contact me at:

[email protected]

Dave Keller

by GP38

QUOTE: NIMBYKiller
Niether my 1995(suffolk county) nor my 1997(nassau county) Hagstroms show South Farmingdale.

I have a Hagstroms from the 80's, and it shows South farmingdale, as well as all the abandoned stations on the mainline such as Cutchogue, Aquebogue, Calverton, etc.

by Dave Keller

The South Farmingdale station stop was removed from the 1974 timetable.

Dave Keller

by GP38

True, but don't forget that the Parkville and Bushwick terminal stations were also on my 1980's NYC Borough map, and the Evergreen Branch is still on it today, even though there are homes built on part of the ROW!
Hagstroms is not too quick to update their maps all the time...
Bayport and Blue Point are on a early 1990's map I have.
Many of the mainline stations that have moved locations after Ronkonkoma electrified were in their old locations until fairly recent versions of the map. I don't have it in front of me, but i think some station is still in the wrong location yet on the mainline on the newest version.

by Legio X

I've seen Eastport and Setauket shown as freight stations in Hagstrom Suffolk County maps, and Westbridge on the Main Line between Jamaica and Kew Gardens.

by Dave Keller

And Westbridge closed in 1939!!

Dave Keller