• Some Thoughts on US High Speed Rail

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by electricron

gprimr1 wrote:I've been to LA a few times, a lot of the attractions are not downtown and LA seems to be interesting in how there are major "cities" that seem to run together to form LA.

Personally, I would have build the first HSR San Diego-LAX since this seems to be a popular route and if I want a demo route on HSR, I want it on the one that is likely to succeed. That route passes several attractions (Solana Beach, Del Mar, San Celemente, Angels Stadium, Disney)
But that's not the "Inland Route" CHSR plans to use between Los Angeles and San Diego.
  by franz

gprimr1 wrote: Personally, I would have build the first HSR San Diego-LAX since this seems to be a popular route and if I want a demo route on HSR, I want it on the one that is likely to succeed. That route passes several attractions (Solana Beach, Del Mar, San Celemente, Angels Stadium, Disney)
Unfortunately your idea makes far too much sense to be part of the California High Speed Rail Authority's plan. And let's face it, they're the Authority. It even says so in their name. :)

And the reason your idea makes so much sense might not be so obvious.

I don't think anyone in LA or San Diego thinks of flying between the two cities. Sure, I'm exaggerating, but it is, at least in my opinion, at a perfect distance (100 miles) that generally makes driving or rail preferable to flying. Too much hassle to fly for such a short trip, so most people (I'm guessing...) just decide to drive. And of course it is often subject to big traffic jams. Seems to me to be an ideal corridor for HSR. Two major cities, each with major international airports, and the line passes thru Orange County, one of the richest counties in the country with lots of people who can afford to pay for HSR, not only infrastructure but also regular ridership. There's existing, established passenger service between the two (Amtrak, Metrolink/Coaster), but you have to switch at Capistrano if you take the Metrolink/Coaster. Looks like Amtrak had a ridership of 1.2 million on the Pacific Surfliner (San Luis Obispo to San Diego) in the last 6 months. Add to that the Metrolink/Coaster, and you have some decent numbers already established and presumably ready, willing, and able to take HSR instead. And it's a beautiful ride along the ocean, the kind of ride people remember, and would give HSR a great image.

But the Authority thinks it's far more important to first connect Bakersfield and Fresno. Makes about as much sense as telling people they need to arrive at the train station no more than 5 minutes before boarding to make rail competitive with air.
Last edited by franz on Wed May 02, 2012 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by franz

electricron wrote: But that's not the "Inland Route" CHSR plans to use between Los Angeles and San Diego.
That's true. And I do think the "Inland Route" they've decided upon is a far better option. Especially the UC Riverside to Murietta link. Just brilliant.