Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by ENR3870

I took a trip on the Malahat on Thursday. First time I've been on it since the new schedule and I have to say, I really don't like this new schedule.

For starters, the layover in Nanaimo has unoffically been abolished, because the schedule is so tight the train is getting into Nanaimo so late that they load/unload passengers, change crews and are off again in about 5 minutes. The roach coach no longer meets the train at Nanaimo as the train doesn't sit there like it used to, luckily there was food at Courtenay as I didn't pack a lunch.

It also takes away any chance of a break for the crews, even in Courtenay those guys don't get much of a break. After getting the train ready for the trip back to Victoria its about time to load the passengers and depart. At least with the old schedule the train sat in Courtenay for half an hour, giving the crew a little time to take a bit of a lunch break after getting the train ready for the return trip.

I do like the new Sunday schedule with the train leaving 2 hrs earlier, but IMHO VIA should have left the Monday-Saturday schedule alone, or at least added some padding to the schedule by keeping the 1800 arrival time back in Victoria. An 1800 arrival in Victoria still leaves enough time to catch the 2100 ferry to Vancouver.

by downbeat

When I took the Malahat last week, I experienced exactly what you described.
The meal stop in Nanaimo was bypassed in both directions. (Our lateness was compounded by having hit a log during the northbound trip, too.)
At Courtenay, the turnaround time was limited to how long it took the train crew to rotate the chairs before they could start loading southbound passengers.
I was lucky, though -- the train arrived in Victoria about 5:50 p.m. and my cousin and I were able to make the 7 p.m. ferry sailing back to Vancouver.
All in all, I liked the trip very much. The crew was very good and the scenery was excellent. And besides, I hadn't been on a Via train for a very long time!
As usual, I whipped out my camera for the trip. The results can be seen here:
http://mediajct.homeip.net/railpix/060500-bc/

by KevinSinclair

Thanks for the report and pictures, looks like a great trip! The RDC's look fun :-D