• Some new Cutoff News

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by BlockLine_4111

A little discussion on Rutgers, heh ? Perhaps I can chime in too ? Their College of Eng. was a tough nut to crack back in the day. I heard they gave preference to out of state (i.e. non-NJ) students too. I didn't know about the 'back door' options into the College of Eng. (say via Cook or Livingston) so I wasn't going there as an undergraduate.

What I found odd was how this girl from Pace (a college in NY state) kept re-iterating that Rutgers was going Ivy League status. Sounded like pure fluff. Any ever hear of Rutgers attempting to go "Ivy League" ? What the hell was she talkin' about ?

Anyway I managed to cross-register for some undergraduate courses at their Newark campus. I was extremely impressed with their Chem 116 and its lab section. Still have my textbooks and notes too. I also managed to take one graduate evening course later on in Piscataway. Recall Knight Club & Olde Queens for cold pints. Wings & pints for Monday night football at at Olde Queens. Rutgers is a neat college.
Last edited by BlockLine_4111 on Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by nick11a

Are you a Rutgers person too? Haha. There are more of us than people think. Yeah, I'm a Rutgers/Cook College/Mason Gross Person. I'm now a sophomore there. New Brunswick and Rutgers is a great place to be if you're a railfan and that's one of the reasons why I'm there.

by BlockLine_4111

nick11a wrote:Are you a Rutgers person too? Haha. There are more of us than people think. Yeah, I'm a Rutgers/Cook College/Mason Gross Person. I'm now a sophomore there. New Brunswick and Rutgers is a great place to be if you're a railfan and that's one of the reasons why I'm there.
I took some courses there that's all. The pluses (+) of Rutgers is a central location off the NJ pike not too far from the beach, NYC, and the Morristown area. New Brunswick is not as hellish as Newark. I personally think that accounts for its appeal. They will never be able to clean Newark up to a degree as they think they can. It will improve but only marginally provided a ton of maintenance and survailence 24/7/365.

Are you taking summer sessions too ?

by nick11a

BlockLine_4111 wrote:
nick11a wrote:Are you a Rutgers person too? Haha. There are more of us than people think. Yeah, I'm a Rutgers/Cook College/Mason Gross Person. I'm now a sophomore there. New Brunswick and Rutgers is a great place to be if you're a railfan and that's one of the reasons why I'm there.
I took some courses there that's all. The pluses (+) of Rutgers is a central location off the NJ pike not too far from the beach, NYC, and the Morristown area. New Brunswick is not as hellish as Newark. I personally think that accounts for its appeal. They will never be able to clean Newark up to a degree as they think they can. It will improve but only marginally provided a ton of maintenance and survailence 24/7/365.

Are you taking summer sessions too ?
Naah, home for break/work in Berkeley Heights.

by Jtgshu

Dah!!! All this Rutgers talk is making me sick to my stomach!!!!!

GO PIRATES!!!!!!

Trying to get back on topic, at least railfans at Seton Hall would be able to see trains running on the cut off fly by South Orange station!!!

As a side note, is there a sign on New Brunswick's platform that states anything like "Home of Rutgers University" or anything? I don't recall ever seeing anything on there, but South Orange has a nice big NJT sign (actually one of the first "new" black and gray NJT signs I ever noticed, about 5 years ago, before they changed all the other station signs) on the platform buildings that says "HOME OF SETON HALL UNIVERSITY" :D
  by ryanov

No indication at New Brunswick whatsoever.

by sullivan1985

TAMR213 wrote:Horizontally stripped shirt with mustard stains :wink: . Or, for us teen railfans, usually some metal band t-shirt.
Yeah sounds pretty right to me. My Deftones shirt has seen much railroading in its days.
  by Jtgshu

ryanov wrote:No indication at New Brunswick whatsoever.
I didn't think so.........I rest my case........

GO PIRATES!!!!

:D :wink:

by njt4172

JTGSHU,

When did you graduate from Seton Hall,?? You didn't happen to know Maureen Rogalski or Candice Pennella did you?? How about Melissa Veltre??? Just some friends of mine who went there! Debbie Peters ring a bell? Sorry to get off topic! Anyway.... some of them use to take the train to South Orange!

Steve

by nick11a

Hahaha. I figured all of this talk about Rutgers would get ya rild up Jt. The only thing New Brunswick does have at the station is a painted sign on on the bridge over George Street at the Station. On one side it says Rutgers and on the other side it says something like "New Brunswick- The Healthcare City." I know, kind of lame. And Sullivan, where was that photo of you taken? Nice shot.

And also, Go Scarlet Knights!

Dealing with crazy Rutgers folks is what you get for working on the Newark Division. "That's a five dollar surcharge for the balloons..." :D

by nick11a

OK Mike, after viewing your site I've just answered my own question! Good photoshop work btw. On first glance, you fooled me! LOL! Incidentally, I go to school at Rutgers and I am a music education major and play French horn. There is a girl there you might know. She is in my grade and plays horn too. Her name is Heather Nearpass. She was, I think the Drum Major at Rutherford last year. And you got some great photos there!
  by chuchubob

What's all this bull about Rutgers? This is supposed to be a rail forum. I'll thank you to refrain from any more mention of Rutgers-the State University.

Thank you.

Bob Vogel, AB Rutgers Camden

Older daughter: BA Douglass; MSW Rutgers Camden

Son: BA Rutgers College, currently enrolled at Rutgers Camden Law
  by nick11a

chuchubob wrote:What's all this bull about Rutgers? This is supposed to be a rail forum. I'll thank you to refrain from any more mention of Rutgers-the State University.

Thank you.

Bob Vogel, AB Rutgers Camden

Older daughter: BA Douglass; MSW Rutgers Camden

Son: BA Rutgers College, currently enrolled at Rutgers Camden Law
LOL! Rugers, The State University of Railfans.

by Mark Schweber

What I found odd was how this girl from Pace (a college in NY state) kept re-iterating that Rutgers was going Ivy League status. Sounded like pure fluff. Any ever hear of Rutgers attempting to go "Ivy League" ? What the hell was she talkin' about ?
While Rutgers is not "going ivy league" the history of Rutgers and the ivy league schools are very much linked. Rutgers (originally Queens College) was founded, much like the ivy's by a religious denomination (Dutch Reform in Rutgers case). The path of Rutgers and the ivys did not begin to diverge until Rutgers was chosen as NJ's land grant college in 1864. Princeton very much also wanted the designation and fought for it so the rolls could easily have been reversed. while state control over Rutgers grew over time from that designation the final "break" between Rutgers and the iveys did not come until Rutgers was officially taken over by the state in 1956 and became the State University.

Even then Rutgers routinely played a large number of the ivy schools every year including in football and basketball until the late 70's/early 80's. At that point Rutgers decided they wanted to be a major player in college sports (obviously never achieved) so they stopped playing the ivy's. The last football games between Columbia (which I was at at that time) and Rutgers were all Rutgers blowouts.

by BlockLine_4111

Rutgers needs a "general studies" program like a BA or BS in general studies so that they can draw in more athletes and compete with the big names schools.

I assume you have heard of these "general studies" programs.