• Some bad news from Germany

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by Finch

Alright, I'll ask the big question.

What was a flock of sheep doing in a rail tunnel? Wouldn't there be some fencing to prevent them from getting onto the ROW? I know we don't have all the details, but it just seems odd to me.

by bapou

The sheep were at the tunnel portal. The heard owner thinks some dogs chased them onto the tracks. The DB really needs something called a fence...

by bellstbarn

You may wish to check out the same incident on the Worldwide Railfan forum:
http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50981
Joe

by CarterB

Certainly a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea if indeed there was no fencing along areas where livestock is kept.

by David Benton

CarterB wrote:Certainly a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea if indeed there was no fencing along areas where livestock is kept.
:-D
Obviously the shepherd failed to get the flock outa of there .

by CarterB

Ewe'd of thought he'd known better!!!

by David Benton

hopefully there's a full investigation , and they wont try and pull the wool over our eyes .

by Nasadowsk

Apparently, even the Germans are making fun of it: http://www.osthessen-news.de/Media/08/0 ... sen480.JPG

I'd never thought of Germany as a place for this to happen....

by David Benton

yeah , i always had images of sheep been marched form paddock to paddock in orderly single file there .

when i was around 10yo , i used to go and stay on a dairy farm for some of the school holidays . The farm was split in 2 by the main turnk railway , and access to the other side was by an underpass under the railway .
Every morning after milking we would wait for the overnight passenger train to go through , before taking the cows under it . every morning , the farmer would tell me the story ( old farmers tend to have alot of stories, especially to explain to 10yo 's why a cow might mount the back of another cow , they don't like having wet front feet apparently ) of what happened the time he was taking a herd of bobby calves under when a freight train came over . chaos apparently , but nothing hurt .
I also learn't chaos ensues when you let 11 cows into one side of a 10 a side milking shed , a few went unmilked that morning .