Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by milkyoreo27

Along with other improvements to New Haven Union Station, CTDOT will be replacing the solari board at New Haven Union Station with two LCDs (along with other digital display boards on platforms and in the station).

New Haven Independent story:
http://www.newhavenindependent.org/arch ... 018410more

I personally protest this move. I understand that the maintenance of this solari has a high cost, but I just cannot imagine Union Station without it. Whenever I enter the station, I hear the familiar sound of flipping. Now, I say to keep the solari board but also add digital signs around the station as well. What are your opinions?
Last edited by milkyoreo27 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by RDL 879

Maybe they can put a board in with fake "flipping" sound as was done at South Station... :-D
  by Steamboat Willie

While I agree the Solari signs give the station a lot of character, it all comes down to the tax payer dollars. With the present state CDOT is in, this move comes to no surprise to reduce their deficit.
  by shadyjay

I had a feeling this would happen someday. Guess that's progress!

As someone mentioned, the board was probably put in when the station reopened in the 1980s, making it around 25 or so years old.

For those who have been around the station in the early 80s... am I correct in assuming that between the time to waiting room was closed and the time it was reopened, the pedestrian tunnel was all that was open to the public from the garage to station "breezeway" to all tracks? Were there any signs at the track entrances advising of next trains? Was there ever any ticketing facilities or restrooms in the tunnel, or was it just a bare bones "platform only" station in the dark days? Hard to imagine taking a train from New Haven if all you had for facilities was the tunnel. Its really a beautiful station today - I always enjoy going inside and sitting in front of the board and watching the destinations change. Last time I was in there, I also discovered the ghosts of old signage at the south entrance... "TO MOTORCOACHES" is visible.

I'll always have my solari board memories... but it isn't gone yet, and since this is a ConnDOT project, it still has some time left!
  by Jersey_Mike

I hate how everyone in Government is incentivized to spend money. I know this as a government employee myself, but I've seen it happen happen in countless places at all levels. Government official's don't see to collect any gold stars unless they "win" and successfully spend budgets, usually on "new" things even if those things aren't needed. My town recently blew 300k of state grant money on elabourate traffic calming structures where a 4-way stop sign would have been just as effective. For half the cost of replacing the Solari CDoT could have probably funded its maintenance for another decade, but no, you only get credit for spending money, not performing a cost analysis and saving money.

Kodos to NJT for keeping the Solari's in the rebuilt Trenton Station.
  by RDL 879

Before the New Haven Station renovation was complete and the building reöpened in late 1985, travel from there was a real joy. The station facilities consisted of a tiny ticket office located on the sloped ramp to the present day underpass, which was quite dank and dismal. I don’t remember how the trains’ track assignments were announced, but do remember passengers boarding Metro-North trains there could buy their tickets on the train with no penalty, given the inadequacy of the facilities.

I do like how the existing Solari board has destinations that are unused, like Florida points, and :( Cape Cod.

A bit off-topic: the station has been beautifully restored, but I think the interior would look nicer if they substituted metal halide lighting for the "gold" sodium lights presently in use.
  by Ridgefielder

RearOfSignal wrote:It should be a chalk board. :P
And they could hire a guy with a megaphone to stand in the center of the concourse and call trains!

Hey, it would help bring down the unemployment rate... :-D
  by Pedro

Hey there Railroad fans!
I'm currently leading the local charge to save the Solari board at Union Station here in New Haven. ConnDOT's assertion is the the Solari board is some rare bird, and that they can't find any parts for it anymore. I thought this was a pretty dubious claim, so I called Solari's offices in New York, and lo and behold, they not only are still servicing the mechanical boards, they are still selling them! Why ConnDOT couldn't figure this out, when I managed to discover all of this in literally 5 minutes is beyond me. Apparently Solari used to maintain the boards back in the day when Amtrak was more involved with the maintenance of the stations, but they haven't had a relationship for some years.

Hopefully the DOT will see that not only does it make financial sense to refurbish the current sign (they also use FAR less power than an actively lit sign so cost less to run), the commuters in New Haven LOVE their mechanical sign and would be really devastated to see it needlessly replaced. I'll try to keep you guys posted on how we fare, but we're not letting go of that sign without a fight.
  by nfjanette

I'm currently leading the local charge to save the Solari board at Union Station here in New Haven.
You and a small army, my friend - we're all attacking the situation. There are FaceBook groups, comments online at http://www.newhavenindependent.org/arch ... _board.php, etc. Next steps are to request meetings with CDOT to get their perspective. There are some good ideas being generated - CDOT needs to hear them.
  by theozno

I will miss that board...
I hope the LCD board will be sycronised to the Atomic clock...
how many post's have I had about the time issues in new haven with the parking authority clock off from the Solari clock... :wink:
  by Fred G

nfjanette wrote:
I'm currently leading the local charge to save the Solari board at Union Station here in New Haven.
You and a small army, my friend - we're all attacking the situation. There are FaceBook groups, comments online at http://www.newhavenindependent.org/arch ... _board.php, etc. Next steps are to request meetings with CDOT to get their perspective. There are some good ideas being generated - CDOT needs to hear them.
Got any links for FB groups? I cannot find any.