Railroad Forums 

• Snowplows

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1633377  by Allen Hazen

Thanks for the picture!
Questions:
Where did this piece of equipment start its career? Nowadays, what with global warming and all, it's hard to imagine a railroad in Connecticut needing this serious a plow (though maybe in places where, because of the way the wind blows around the landscape, snow accumulates...), but in an old-fashioned winter...
And thanks for including the data panel with the plow's weight? When it was built (I'm guessing early 20th C), 40 tones on four axles was quite respectable, and you want a plow to be heavy enough not to derail easily. Were any plows built with space to accommodate temporary ballast, so they could be run light on poor track but heavier on main lines? (How about building the plow onto the end of a hopper car?)
 #1633379  by Jeff Smith

It was built by Russell in 1936. It was originally MEC, then spent some time at Green Mountain. It was due for a paint job this year but that’s been postponed.
 #1633487  by Allen Hazen

Thanks for the further information! (I suspect that both the Green Mountain and (parts of) the MEC would have had more need of a "serious" snowplow than the Naugatuck (Grin!))
 #1633490  by Jeff Smith

Seriously! She's a beast for sure. There's a siding at the Thomaston Station for static displays; I believe that may have been the plan.