• Slow Red Line

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Pete

The past two mornings the Red Line has seemed unusually slow from Porter to south of Harvard. Is there something going on, or have I just been unlucky?

by Robert Paniagua

The same thing on the Braintree Extension, yesterday, it was a swithcing problem and this morning, a catastrophic power failure at Quincy Center, thus forcing Red Line service trains to be "held" at Stations, and not be allowed to move for as much up to 5 minutes.

Old Colony CR Service was unnafected, though...
  by octr202

Pete wrote:The past two mornings the Red Line has seemed unusually slow from Porter to south of Harvard. Is there something going on, or have I just been unlucky?
Monday evening I noticed a slow ride about halfway (guestimated) to Harvard...seemed about 10 mph or so. All week, I've noticed that the 10 mph restriction around the Harvard curve inbound seems to have been extended east, so that the train doesn't accelerate until the last car is clearing the crossovers now. (Side note...wonder if this has anything to do with the Harvard ad being "deactivated?")

I haven't noticed any difference outbound. As a purely ameteur guess, with all apologies to the MBTA professionals who post here, sounds like a track inspector might have come through and found some "issues" in those areas and slapped down some speed restrictions.

by Ron Newman

I've noticed a lurching ride, where the train quickly speeds up, slows down, speeds up, slows down.... I don't understand why a driver would do this.

by Robert Paniagua

It's not the motorperson, it's the screwy cab signals that's forcing engineers to slow down, pick up speed, and then slow down in one instant.

Now, power in Quincy has been restored, although the Braintree extension is still suffering from relapses, but I'm sure that it'll be All right by afternoon for the home-bound commute (myself included in that group).

by CRail

Ron Newman wrote:I've noticed a lurching ride, where the train quickly speeds up, slows down, speeds up, slows down.... I don't understand why a driver would do this.
I figured there had to be a reason, after doing this for at least 5 minutes i was starting to get really annoyed.

by fm535

I left Braintree at 8:15pm, and it was still slow going, especially around Quincy Ctr. Ten codes along most of the track between QC and North Q. I took 30 minutes to get to JFK! I forgot about the power failure, and was wondering what was going on with the slow ride from hell.

by F-line to Dudley via Park

smashmont wrote:I've noticed other Red Line slow zones which have appeared in the last two weeks or so:
  • -NB between Porter and Davis
    -NB leaving South Station
    -Sometimes stopping for a minute or more before entering a station, though the headways have been generous enough. Seen this at Fields Corner and Park Street.
    -SB leaving the tunnel at Andrew, though that's hardly new.
Is this the quality of service we can look forward to on the Orange Line in coming years?
Add to that SB from Porter to Harvard, where trains have been going half-speed for about the first half of the leg for the last week or two...at least in the A.M. If you stand at the end of the platform at Porter and watch a departing train go down the tunnel, you can see it just kind of meander along. It takes forever for the red rear lights to completely dissapear down the tunnel, and then not soon after they do you can hear the train rev up to full speed just before it's out of earshot.
  by willfh

The Herzog Hi-rail went out and found some microfractures. So speed restriction were put in place until repairs are made

by Robert Paniagua

The Herzog Hi-rail went out and found some microfractures. So speed restriction were put in place until repairs are made

Will they be addressing the slowdowns in the North Quincy Southbound area and Wollaston vecinity as well?