Railroad Forums 

• Sleeper Marketing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1628872  by Jeff Smith

Amtrak seems to now be marketing sleeper accommodations as "first class" and "private room". Has that always been the case?

https://www.amtrak.com/sleeper-car-accommodations
Experience the Train from a Private Room

For a truly unique experience when traveling in First Class, Amtrak offers private rooms on many routes across the country. A private room is the perfect option for customers seeking privacy and space on a short trip and added comfort and amenities when traveling overnight. Several room options are available to best fit your needs and budget — and all include a variety of amenities aimed to enhance your trip.

Roomette
For customers seeking both privacy and savings in First Class, Roomettes feature two comfortable seats by day transformed to upper and lower beds by night. Each room includes a big picture window, newly upgraded bedding, pillows, towels and linens and access to a restroom and shower in your car.

A dedicated First Class attendant will provide turndown service, assist with meals and help with luggage. All customers in private rooms receive complimentary lounge access at major stations, priority boarding and complimentary meals onboard.

Bedroom
For customers seeking extra comfort and space in First Class, Bedrooms provide twice the space as a Roomette and feature a sofa and separate chair by day transformed into upper and lower beds by night. Each room includes a big picture window, newly upgraded bedding, pillows, towels and linens and an in-room sink, restroom and shower.

A dedicated First Class attendant will provide turndown service, assist with meals and help with luggage. All customers in private rooms receive complimentary lounge access at major stations, priority boarding and complimentary meals onboard.
 #1628915  by markhb

I don't know that they have been, but it seems reasonable.
 #1628924  by Arborwayfan

I think we had discussion about this a couple of months ago. Mod might want to join them together.

I remember the words "first class" from years ago; I can't say if they were as prominent as now.
Private room is newish language that I first noticed during the pandemic. I have speculated on whether Amtrak is trying to sell more rooms for day trips. And it kind of makes marketing sense, I guess. I was looking at a trip from Mattoon IL to Red Wing MN earlier today, and it offered me a private room. That trip includes six or seven hours on the Empire Builder, arriving before bedtime, so the rooms exist and most people wouldn't be interested in something called a sleeping accommodation. And probably some sleeper passengers will board in St Paul, so Amtrak might as well sell a few rooms for the time before St. Paul. Not to me; I dont{ want to pay an extra $300 or so for me and my high school senior to sit in a roommette and only see out one side of the train. But someone.
 #1628926  by NH2060

A very clever marketing move on their part.

Because as Jerry Seinfeld will tell you, once you’ve ridden First Class you can’t go back to coach :wink: