Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by AMoreira81

Considering that FL9 locomotives are being retired at this time, is there any particular reason, aside from relocating crews to New Haven, why SLE consists and locomotives cannot be used on weekends on the Danbury and Waterbury lines (with MTA crews)? Cab signaling should not be an issue here, at least not on the Waterbury, and it would cost less to deadhead from New Haven than from Croton-Harmon.

(Last word of the title is shortened because of space limitations.)

by njtmnrrbuff

That is an excellent idea to use SLE sets on the branch lines. It doesnt matter what cars you use. Genesis units should not be on the branch lines, if possible. In fact, I believe the Shoreliner Is with the SLE logos are running all over, especially since the VRE cars stick to SLE.

by DutchRailnut

The Cab signal is needed anywhere just to enter the NEC.

The VRE cab cars have Cab signal ATC compatible with MNCR's system, they just don't have ACSES to go east of New Haven.

But why run a train from New Haven to Danbury when you already have two shuttle trains in Danbury, were the crew run starts?

Starting a crew run off the line is only a financial burden on MNCR since the terminal where trains originate must be qualified on all territory were those runs go.

So, a train going from New Haven to Danbury means every crew and extra list must be qualified for territory to be covered.

Danbury is supposed to have at least one Gennie on the shuttle as protect power for the 3 through trains.

It's easier on a week night to cancel 1941 and call buses than to deadhead an engine from Croton Harmon.

Just tie the shuttle to the rear end of broken train and despite a bit slower it can make the run to New York.

by AMoreira81

I was not aware that crews were based out of Danbury. And regarding Gennie trains, I have occasionally been on full-length trains on that branch, because the originally assigned sets have had problems.