Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by alcoc420

Where were signals on the Main Line between Divide and Farmingdale before electrification? Obviously there were westbound signals at B tower, but from the photos I have seen there seems to have been no eastbound signals and no signals by the crossovers by the Bethpage State Parkway. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

by emfinite

I was going to ask the same question last week but didn't get around to it yet. Dave, I have seen a few concrete signal bases up and down the mainline that still exist, namely through the stretch at Pinelawn and next to the Fairchild plant at Republic, both east and westward. I remember seeing a few more, but can't name exactly where. Does anyone have any older PC maps, even just prior to electrification? I was going to contact the Railroad for those materials, but I was told that they were disposed of a long time ago. Arrt's Archives has a few good shots of old signals on the main-line at Beth, Old DK, and Brentwood. You have to search around the site though to find the shots.

Joe

by Dave Keller

OK Guys:

As of my 1958-59 Emery maps this is what I’ve come up with between “Divide” and Farmingdale:

1. Westbound signal at E. Nicholai Street crossing, Hicksville, just east of “Divide,” until 1945

2. Westbound signal just west of MP 26 until 1945

3. Eastbound signal #262 at New South Road Crossing (new: 1945, probably replacing item #2 above)

4. Westbound signal #263, same location (new: 1945)

5. Eastbound signal #274 east of MP 26 at Grumman (new: 1945)

6. Westbound signal #275, same location (new: 1945)

7. Eastbound signal west of Stewart Avenue, Bethpage, until 1945 (probably replaced by item #5 above)

8. Westbound signal at MP 28 until 1945 (probably replaced by item #6 above)

9. Eastbound signal at crossover on west side of Bethpage State Parkway bridge

10. Signal bridge at “B” tower

11. Eastbound signal #296 west of Clinton Street/Melville Road crossing, Farmingdale

12. Westbound signal #297, same location

13. Eastbound signal #308 east of Farmingdale station, between the main track and the south siding, just before said siding connects to the main.

14. Westbound signal #307 east of Farmingdale station and west of MP 31

Dave

by Form 19

Prior to electrification, the area in question was "Two or More Tracks" with Rule 251 in effect. So yes, there were signals east of Divide and a Timetable specified Current-of-Traffic, much like the area between Babylon and Y, Nassau to Locust and Jay to Bliss.

Joe, on the Mainline in former Single track Rule 251 territory, the signal foundations you see east and west of the areas you discussed were for Distant signals that were lit when the location was open as a Block Station and the Block signals. Just like when you approach PD, MS and even when you travel west approaching KO2. The Mainline in those days commonly had part-time Block Stations..the Station pages would note when they were actual Block stations which were manned and controlled locally by the Agent-Operator with actual Block signals and Distant signals. Unmanned hours they were Block-Limits controlled by either B Tower or Divide.

The last regularly scheduled part-time Block stations were on the Pt. Jefferson Branch at Port Jefferson and Stony Brook. Like the Mainline, when they were unmanned, they were controlled by Divide and in the case of Stony Brook, it was a Block-Limit signal (BK).

by alcoc420

Thanks very much. Is it fair to say that all the signals except at B tower were on posts, not bridges? The photo of the pw area is fascinating. Also, it reminds that for anyone interested, the Kings Park Heritage Museum has a number of 8x10 photos of the right-of-way near Kings Park, taken c. 1950. Supposedly, they were taken by the LIRR for security or insurance purposes.

by emfinite

Believe it or not, that shack at the west switch of the PW siding is still there. Not really in great shape, but still there. I'll have to grab a picture of it next time I'm over there. Great picture, Dave!

Joe

by tushykushy

Oh yeah, it's still standing, take it from us. Great shot Dave. Always curious on any kind of facts in my area.

by Dave Keller

Thanks, guys!

And, yes . . . .all the signals I've listed in my description above were on masts, with the exception of the signal bridge indicated at "B".

The ones that existed only until 1945 were all semaphore-blade types.

Dave

by M1 9147

Of coarse the only way to tell that the old signals at BK were still there is not by the signal, but rather the old station light masts still there, the way the utility poles, and the station building itself is. The tracks are on a new alignment done in 1988 when the platforms were raised. The location of the old signal masts were in the area now occupied by the north parking lot.