• Signal type at Main Street-Flushing

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Skip-Stop

Took these photos some time ago. I took plenty more of photos that day but I want to know what kind of signal is in the 2 photos below:

Lnik to album

by 7 Train

I heard that is a special signal used only on game days at Shea Stadium. When the signal is lit, it tells the engineer he will stop at Shea.

by Dave Keller

The signals' yellow flashing lights indicate a stop at Shea Stadium.

Dave Keller
Orlando, FL

by NIMBYkiller

There's also a signal bridge just west of Shea that has the same type of signal. It operates just like the one Dave Keller explained. If it's flashing, then the train is to stop at Shea, if not, the train doesn't stop at Shea.

by lirrmike

Speaking of signals, has anyone noticed in Sunnyside, after the east portals, on the Penn (Amtrak) rails, there are new color signals? Please don't tell me the position lights are on the way out! NO! Anyway, or are they just for Amtrak? Thanks.

Mike

by LIengineerBob

The color light signals on the Amtrak "Loop" tracks were installed after they closed all the towers that controlled movement into and out of Sunnyside Yard (Q and R tower). Control of those tracks is now done by PSCC. At the same time they also added (or rebuilt) an additional track that comse off Loop 1 with a small interlocking that can't bee seen from public viewpoints (it's basically behind the car dealership) to allow additional traffic flow into the yard, and ease congestion out of Penn Station. Thesignals are difficult to see in direct sunlight (I have heard Amtrak/NJT crews complain on the radio more than once about not being able to see them in the sun)...so I don't think that they will be repeated on the mainline tracks, and the other signals in Sunnyside are all the old Pennsy style position lights.
Yes, those signals are only for Amtrak/NJT trains....any LI train that wound up in there would be in for a trip to the road formans office in Jamaica real fast.

by Sirsonic

The new E32 signal replaced a position light signal at the same location. The only signal ever displayed by E32, however, is restricting. F was closed with control handed over to PSCC, however, R and Q are still open. Q is still in Q, near the overpass on the west end of the yard, however, R has moved from R tower to a small office in the new high speed rail building.