Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Murjax

DutchRailnut wrote:you think ??? capecodrailroader has 25 years on railroad and 20 years in seat, he is very well versed in Amtrak procedures and rules and can be made Honorary Qualified on Shoreline without any hesitation.
so you think ?

I'm not questioning anyone's experience, I'm looking for an answer.
interlocking before is Saybrook at MP 104.7 and Old saybrook station is at MP 105.1, next interlocking is VIEW with a red signal at MP 105.9
I was talking about the interlocking up at MP 114. If westbound Amtraks on track 1 switch to track 2 back at that interlocking instead of at VIEW, wouldn't that give the SLE a clear signal?
  by DutchRailnut

The Amtrak dispatcher is not gone give a signal at VIEW for a SLE train cause that will tie up his track from View to where ever next interlocking is.
To throw a red after the SLE train stops ties up the track east of SLE train for nearly 8 minutes, far longer than to let the SLE train crawl into Old Saybrook.

My timetable does not show a interlocking at 114, so could you elaborate ?

i only show Palmers Cove as next at MP128.1
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Murjax

DutchRailnut wrote:My timetable does not show a interlocking at 114, so could you elaborate ?

i only show Palmers Cove as next at MP128.1
In Rich Green's track map, if you zoom in near MP 114, you'll see the switches.
  by RearOfSignal

Crescent Interlocking at appx. MP 114 was put in service for MoW work in the area. Not sure if it's still in service or not. BTW, the is a newer map by Rich Green, version 3. I think it still shows Crescent Interlocking though.
  by DutchRailnut

I use timetables, not railbuff maps.
  by RearOfSignal

DutchRailnut wrote:I use timetables, not railbuff maps.
Afraid to ask, but how current is that timetable? Not that I'm second guessing you, just curious when that interlocking went into service, and if it still is?
  by DutchRailnut

Just because there is switches, does not mean its an interlocking.
Look up definition of interlocking in your timetable.

NORAC states:
INTERLOCKING (Int): An interconnection of signals and
signal appliances such that their movements must
succeed each other in a predetermined sequence, assuring
that signals cannot be displayed simultaneously on
conflicting routes. Interlocking rules are in effect in an
interlocking.
  by railaw

Ok, so why do some SLE's into old saybrook take 8 minutes from Westbrook while others take 13?
  by DutchRailnut

Some get straight railed into Old saybrook , others cross over.
  by railaw

No, that's not the answer. Just about the only one that goes in straight (unless compensating for Amtrak running late) is 1646, which continues to New London, and that one is scheduled to do it in six minutes, although it frequently arrives in fewer.

The rest (with a possible exception out of rush hour or on the weekends) cross over to either track 1 or 3, and which one it's going to doesn't seem to be the answer, based on past experience.
  by RearOfSignal

DutchRailnut wrote:Just because there is switches, does not mean its an interlocking.
Look up definition of interlocking in your timetable.

NORAC states:
INTERLOCKING (Int): An interconnection of signals and
signal appliances such that their movements must
succeed each other in a predetermined sequence, assuring
that signals cannot be displayed simultaneously on
conflicting routes. Interlocking rules are in effect in an
interlocking.
Yes, I know what an interlocking is. But is your timetable the current one or a few years back, that's all? I know that there was an interlocking there at one time. Just wanted to find out if it's still in service or when it was put into service, or if it's been removed.
  by DutchRailnut

As you see in Amtrak forum , Cresent as its called did not have Catenary on crossovers, so maybe its not in service other than MofW moves.

The entire interlocking still has no bearing on speed of SLE into Old Saybrook
  by Erie-Lackawanna

I think the problem here is that a question has been asked with the belief that the railroaders who frequent this forum can answer it. But the railroad about which the question is asked is Amtrak, and the railroaders that frequent this forum are Metro-North employees. So in all probability the conclusive answer is not going to be given here.

Can we let it rest there?

Jim
  by lumpum

Crescent is indeed a interlocking and has been in service for a couple of years now. It does have catenary.
  by Jeff Smith

railaw wrote:Ok, so why do some SLE's into old saybrook take 8 minutes from Westbrook while others take 13?
Maybe the hamsters in the wheel wells are tired?