Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by hi55us

Hello All,

I'm going to be taking Metro North/Shore Line East Up to New London from Grand Central in a few weeks. The Amtrak fares are sky-high, and my office is closer to Grand Central, so I'm giving this option a go. I was wondering if Shore Line East will hold the connecting train to New London if the Metro North train from New York is running late. I was planning on taking #1572 or #1574 out of Grand Central (the 6:48PM or 7:07PM departure) that would both have a tight connection to the 9:00 train to New London. Unfortunately the Shore Line east website doesn't do a good job making this clear.

Thanks
  by runningwithscalpels

The SLE train in question is numbered 1674, which means it's *supposed* to connect with 1574.

I agree, SLE's site is convoluted. On the FAQ page it says:
If my New Haven Line train is late getting back to New Haven in the afternoon or evening, will my connecting Shore Line East train wait?
Yes. Shore Line East trains will wait a reasonable amount of time for late-arriving New Haven Line trains.

Back in the heyday of lateness last year after all the poo poo hit the fan, I was living in Branford. They held the SLE departures for my MNR train getting back late to New Haven. (I don't remember how late we were though). So barring some sort of major delay, you should be fine.
  by hi55us

runningwithscalpels wrote:The SLE train in question is numbered 1674, which means it's *supposed* to connect with 1574.

I agree, SLE's site is convoluted. On the FAQ page it says:
If my New Haven Line train is late getting back to New Haven in the afternoon or evening, will my connecting Shore Line East train wait?
Yes. Shore Line East trains will wait a reasonable amount of time for late-arriving New Haven Line trains.

Back in the heyday of lateness last year after all the poo poo hit the fan, I was living in Branford. They held the SLE departures for my MNR train getting back late to New Haven. (I don't remember how late we were though). So barring some sort of major delay, you should be fine.
Great, Thank You
  by Steamboat Willie

Most of the time they will hold the SLE connection in New Haven. If there are significant delays, like Walk bridge being stuck open they will allow the connection to leave New Haven on time. Reverse is true for MNR trains leaving New Haven with SLE connections.
  by deathtopumpkins

Say there is a serious delay, and they don't hold the connection. What accommodation, if any, is provided for passengers wishing to make the connection?
  by DutchRailnut

you get to use waiting room till next train.
  by hi55us

That's what I would expect (if one of the bridges gives trouble and there are massive delays). What I was worried about is a 20 minute delay and being stuck in New Haven (with no more trains to New London, since I'd be on the last train to New London).
  by DutchRailnut

the last train does wait.