• Shades of the Shelter Island Express Returning?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by SwingMan

I did not realize until just now that train 254, the Friday only Greenport train, now serves wines from the wineries it passes through! Now getting it over 3 cars is highly unlikely, but still good to see something new! I wonder if they'll just have it run with passengers from Jamaica next season? That train is quite popular.
  by jhdeasy

I saw the schedule for this train online at the official MTA LIRR website, but I saw no mention of wine being served. Maybe I overlooked a press release.

Do they have a cash bar on that train?
  by SwingMan

jhdeasy wrote:I saw the schedule for this train online at the official MTA LIRR website, but I saw no mention of wine being served. Maybe I overlooked a press release.

Do they have a cash bar on that train?

It was in this months Train Talk avalible on the MTA website. It mentioned wine, just wine, being served on train 254. I'm not certain how they serve it, as that train is at the most only 3 cars.
  by peconicstation

lirr415 wrote:I did not realize until just now that train 254, the Friday only Greenport train, now serves wines from the wineries it passes through! Now getting it over 3 cars is highly unlikely, but still good to see something new! I wonder if they'll just have it run with passengers from Jamaica next season? That train is quite popular.
The Shelter Island Express ?, hardly, this train is the same Friday extra that has been running ever since the KO electrification project was completed. It is never more than 2 cars (and it can only platform 1 and a 1/2 C-3s at a time), and it often runs late as the 3:55 Penn to KO train is at capacity every week day it runs. One of the only reasons that this train is popular is that the 4:00 Jitney busses sell out early in the week for Friday travel. With the last LIRR fare increase, the off peak zone 14 fare of $18.25, is barely below the North Fork Jitney fare of $20.

It's a nice concept to do this, and alcohol is banned on the Jitney (a good thing to many), but will it lure riders away from the Jitney ?, doubtful, VERY doubtful.

Ken
  by LIRR415 MOBILE

peconicstation wrote:
lirr415 wrote:I did not realize until just now that train 254, the Friday only Greenport train, now serves wines from the wineries it passes through! Now getting it over 3 cars is highly unlikely, but still good to see something new! I wonder if they'll just have it run with passengers from Jamaica next season? That train is quite popular.
The Shelter Island Express ?, hardly, this train is the same Friday extra that has been running ever since the KO electrification project was completed. It is never more than 2 cars (and it can only platform 1 and a 1/2 C-3s at a time), and it often runs late as the 3:55 Penn to KO train is at capacity every week day it runs. One of the only reasons that this train is popular is that the 4:00 Jitney busses sell out early in the week for Friday travel. With the last LIRR fare increase, the off peak zone 14 fare of $18.25, is barely below the North Fork Jitney fare of $20.

It's a nice concept to do this, and alcohol is banned on the Jitney (a good thing to many), but will it lure riders away from the Jitney ?, doubtful, VERY doubtful.

Ken
What else can they do? It's a nice addition to that train.

Stop, just stop, comparing this service with the HJ. It may NEVER be the same as the glorified bus. It's people like you that have cost an engineer and conductor a year round job.
  by darthdoosh

peconicstation wrote:
It's a nice concept to do this, and alcohol is banned on the Jitney (a good thing to many)
Good, the type of people I'd rather not be around can take the medium of transit I'd rather not ride on.