Railroad Forums 

• Septa wire train

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#54673  by ftmprob

I saw a Septa wire train at West Trenton at about 3PM today, Tuesday Sept. 21. It consisted of deisel locomotive 61 at one end and 601, a retired MU at the other end. There were 2 flat cars with wire spools and other equipment on them. Maybe the MU 601 was a retired NJT MU. I am not an expert but I read somewhere that maybe Septa had a few MU's from NJT for work service.
Anyone know how many other work trains have? Other wire trains or other MOW trains.

#54699  by blueduck577

yes, i posted several weeks ago that they started using the NJT MU as a cab car.

is the wire train still working regularly? i havent gotten a pic of the new cab car yet.

#54772  by Clearfield

blueduck577 wrote:is the wire train still working regularly? i havent gotten a pic of the new cab car yet.
Just about every night between Fern Rock & Jenkin

#54869  by kevikens

When you say every night does that mean in darkness or is this set running somewhere in daylight ?

#54884  by Clearfield

kevikens wrote:When you say every night does that mean in darkness or is this set running somewhere in daylight ?
It only works in daylight in emergencies. It normally runs after scheduled service ends, and works through the night. Remember, it completely blocks a track. Bad idea during the day.

#55611  by Wdobner

Who says the Wire Train only comes out to play at night???

Seen today at Langhorne Station at 2:30pm...

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~wld25/WireTrain1.JPG File Size is about 1.3 mb or so.

I remember working on a site along the Reading mainline north of Elkins Park and seeing the SEPTA Wire Train pass through about 8:30-9 in the morning, and then return sometime between 2:30 and 3:30 that afternoon. I think SEPTA has few problems sending the wire train out on the branches as they see far fewer TPH than the trunk does. Tying up one track for a few hours is a bearable problem when only 4 or 5 trains go down it a given hour, when more than 10 do so it becomes a bigger problem.

And for those who are wondering, here's a tiny pic of the Arrow II which rides on the back of the Wire Train. I apologize for the crappiness, but the mini-high at Langhorne got in my way: http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~wld25/SEPTAArrowII.jpg

#55654  by Clearfield

Wdobner wrote:Who says the Wire Train only comes out to play at night???
Insomnia?
 #58317  by aem7

Just learned that the NH&I purchased the old 9125 wire train tool car and will be bringing it up to New Hope sometime next week.
 #58338  by Clearfield

aem7 wrote:Just learned that the NH&I purchased the old 9125 wire train tool car and will be bringing it up to New Hope sometime next week.
I'd love to ride a blueliner again - even as a trailer.........

#58478  by jfrey40535

Which car is that? Its not the light blue one parked at Wayne, is it? Wonder if they're going to restore it?

#58518  by glennk419

That's great news that the 9125 will be preserved, another reason to go to New Hope.
Which car is that? Its not the light blue one parked at Wayne, is it?

9125 has served as camp and tool car on the wire train pretty much since the Blueliners were retired back in the late 80's. It was not repainted and retained it's (faded) Reading blue and white. The other Blueliner sitting at Wayne next to Roberts Yard is landlocked (switch to siding has been removed) and serves as a storage locker. I believe the number on that one is/was 9130.

#58537  by R3 Rider

^I thought 9125 had a more SEPTA-ish color scheme. The one I always saw with the wire train before SEPTA got the Arrow II was painted white, and had the '80s style solid blue/red stripe.

#58564  by glennk419

My bad, I went back and checked a couple pictures and you are correct, 9125 is painted in the Septa circus scheme.

Thanks for the correction.
 #60686  by aem7

Saw the 9125 cab car sitting on the NH&I siding north of Street Road. Heard its gonna be there a couple of days due to there not being any room at New Hope.
 #60701  by limejuice

9125 is currently sitting in the Wycombe yard. There's not really room for anything at New Hope.