• SEPTA NPT card will be "SEPTA Key"?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by ChesterValley

Arsenal interlocking is being repaired for the next couple weeks during SEPTA's southwest connection program. But this means that Wilmington/Newark trains are being funneled into the lower level of 30th street. Which brings me to this question, how will SEPTA deal with the gate concourse flaw at 30th street's lower level?
  by andrewjw

What gate concourse flaw on the lower level? They don't run trains to the lower level in regular service, I don't expect any ring of steel to be emplaced down there. I suspect that in the case of a disruption causing this reroute in the future they will station ticket checkers at the elevators and staircases.
  by JeffersonLeeEng

There are no early adopter stations on the Wilmington Line anyway.
  by MichaelBug

JeffersonLeeEng wrote:There are no early adopter stations on the Wilmington Line anyway.
That is true. But what if an Early Adopter (whose "home station" is on another line that is part of the pilot, say for example, Lansdale) with a Anywhere TrailPass-enabled Key card, decides to take a ride to Wilmington?
  by JeffersonLeeEng

MichaelBug wrote:
JeffersonLeeEng wrote:There are no early adopter stations on the Wilmington Line anyway.
That is true. But what if an Early Adopter (whose "home station" is on another line that is part of the pilot, say for example, Lansdale) with a Anywhere TrailPass-enabled Key card, decides to take a ride to Wilmington?
They tap out on the fare gates on the upper level and then show their Key card to the on-board conductor who will most likely have their own mobile device to check for validity...

Same as when key card holders with a transpass use it on the airport line or on the weekends...
  by JimBoylan

To be an Early Adopter, the passenger will have to have a Zone 4 Trail Pass. I don't know if an Anywhere Pass can be loaded on a Key Card for Aug., 2018.
http://septa.org/key/updates/rail-early-adopter.html wrote:Zone 4 TrailPass Customers who travel from one of the 19 stations listed below are invited to join the Future of Fare Payment.
EARLY ADOPTERS PROGRAM:
Buy a SEPTA Key Card & purchase a Monthly Zone 4 Trail Pass
August Monthly Zone 4 TrailPasses for your new Key Card go on sale starting July 20th
  by MichaelBug

JimBoylan wrote:To be an Early Adopter, the passenger will have to have a Zone 4 Trail Pass. I don't know if an Anywhere Pass can be loaded on a Key Card for Aug., 2018.
http://septa.org/key/updates/rail-early-adopter.html wrote:Zone 4 TrailPass Customers who travel from one of the 19 stations listed below are invited to join the Future of Fare Payment.
EARLY ADOPTERS PROGRAM:
Buy a SEPTA Key Card & purchase a Monthly Zone 4 Trail Pass
August Monthly Zone 4 TrailPasses for your new Key Card go on sale starting July 20th

I am a daily rider from North Wales, one of the pilot Zone 4 Early Adopter stations. Currently, SEPTA sells Zones 1, 2, 3, & Anywhere TrailPasses - that's it. There no longer are any separate Zone 4 or Zone NJ passes. We use Anywhere passes instead.
  by MACTRAXX

JB and Everyone: Currently Zone 4 and Zone NJ riders use "Anywhere" legacy passes.

To better describe this subject SEPTA should have mentioned "Zone 4 riders that now purchase
Anywhere legacy passes can purchase new August passes under the Key early adopter program"

Earlier in this decade SEPTA eliminated Zone 5. The current Zone 4 was created by placing all of
the Zone 5 stations in this newly-formed zone along with some outer stations that were situated
in the previous Zone 4. Some former Zone 4 stations were placed in an even larger Zone 3.
Another zone change was the introduction of Zone NJ for Trenton and West Trenton only.

Examples: On the Lansdale-Doylestown Line Penllyn and Gwynedd Valley were moved into Zone 3
while North Wales remained in Zone 4. On the Warminster Line Hatboro and Warminster went from
Zone 4 to Zone 3 placing the entire branch into one fare zone.

Cross County legacy passes and Transpasses (available only by mail or from outside sales outlets)
are the other pass types that currently remain for sale.

Giving up what the SEPTA Legacy passes offer - namely unlimited rides without any cap limitation
- is not going to be easy - I would stay with Legacy pass types as long as they remain available.
There is no real current incentive to switch to the Key and get less (caps) for the same money.

MACTRAXX
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

Starting Monday July 23rd the turnstiles at 30th Street Station will be in service between 6AM and
8PM. Tickets will be checked by gate collectors and turnstiles equipped for legacy pass use.

http://www.septa.org/key/updates/2018-0 ... tiles.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will be interesting to see how the activation affects crowding on the SEPTA concourse leading to
all three platforms especially during afternoon peak hours. There is initially going to be no checks
needed for anyone exiting at 30th Street meaning no extra problems to leave the station.

MACTRAXX
  by Patrick Boylan

Has anyone successfully recovered or reset their Key login or password? I thought I had recorded it, but when I tried to login to recharge from my credit card I got an invalid credentials message.
By the way, in my opinion the website layout is lousy. I can't find any direct links from http://www.septa.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.septa.org/key/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to a login page. Somewhere I had gotten the link, I think in a confirming email many months ago https://www.septakey.org/ecustomer_ENU/start.swe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
It has a "forgot user ID/password?" link, which asks for 1st and last name and email address, the next page asks one to answer a challenge question. I've gotten weird error messages not related to 'bad answer', and once in a while gotten a 'we emailed you a temp password' message.
I've tried at least 5 times since Friday and have not gotten any temp password email.
I emailed [email protected], they quickly replied
Do you have an alternative email address that you would like to use? If not, perhaps you could clear your cookies and cache, then refresh your browser and check your spam/junk folder.
I gave them a different email address, got an automatic 'we changed your address' email, so it's obviously not an issue with cookies or cache, tried 'forgot password' 2 more times, still got no temp password email, and have now gotten no further follow up emails from [email protected].

I did get a 'server down' message on their website a few minutes ago. Hoping that they may have taken it down just to fix my problem, because I'm their most important customer, I tried 'forgot password' again. So far no email from them.
  by Patrick Boylan

Customer service replied, they're investigating.
  by ChesterValley

A couple of updates on the SEPTA Key program.

Turnstiles are active at 30th street. I will give SEPTA this much, they are slowly rolling this out to make sure people aren't too confused. Still going to be interesting in September when all the regular commuter come back. What I do wish is the ZONE MAP to be posted in the station so people stop asking me if their zone 4 ticket is good for track 4. London underground's map has the zone system, and SEPTA should follow suit.

Also on the wish list, the the zone be labeled on the key units at outlying stations and an automatic message of out of service be displayed on inactive key units.

In other news, SEPTA is beginning to issue temporary plastic keys to replace tokens. https://billypenn.com/2018/07/12/beyond ... e-in-need/
  by MichaelBug

I have decided to throw caution to the wind & become one of the "Early Adopters". So, on Tuesday, 7/24/18, I purchased an August Monthly "Anywhere" TrailPass for my (previously existing, but little used until now) SEPTA Key, from the mobile kiosk (at North Wales on that day). My receipt lists the "product purchased" as "MTrailPassAny". It doesn't list the period of validity (i.e. August 2018).

I'm going to try it for a month, & share any unusual events in this thread.

Knowing SEPTA RRD's habits, I am still somewhat skeptical that I will be able to get through the month without at least one conductor either (a) challenging the validity of my pass (since it's on a Key card); or (b) not bothering to scan it, because he or she doesn't have one of the portable validator devices (which I have yet to see in use on ANY RRD train). I will carry my receipt just in case there are any issues. We shall see.
  by mcgrath618

I am also going to purchase a Key this week to give it a shot. I'm just going to preload it with some money and see if there's any issues as far as the RR goes.
  by JeffersonLeeEng

mcgrath618 wrote:I am also going to purchase a Key this week to give it a shot. I'm just going to preload it with some money and see if there's any issues as far as the RR goes.
"Travel Wallet" doesn't work for Regional Rail yet.