• SEPTA HO Scale Model Trains

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by N-Trizzy2609

Sir Ray wrote: Upon inspection:
The body (& chassis) moldings look OK, there is some flash - especially around the windows & doors - but nothing too worrisome or problemtatic. There are things here and there that may require some Squadron White, but I am not completely certain - will need to give the bodys & chassis a good scrub first. I only checked against a few SL IV images I have, but so far everything looks cool
Rate this a Good
Decals are included, and look Good upon first impression - I'm sure I find something under microscopic inspection, but then again I'm just an idiot - but at this time it looks like the decals are Fine.
Rate this (contigent upon closer inspection) a Good.
My pairs I think are very nice despise the "banana" effect that they have (which can be corrected with just a tiny bit of heat), Now I' adding the windows, engines, and other super detailing. I'm so thinking about sending them out to get mildly weathered and DCC hooked up.
Difference picture between the Silverliner and Arrows.
All my MUs.
  by N-Trizzy2609

I just wanna let everyone know, the IMW Silverliner II has been discontinued for the time being. The revised model was said to release this month so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one.
  by green_elite_cab

Really need catenary to go with these models... but I'm thinking i'm not going to electrify this layout. Instead, i might build a module or something. Looking for a prototype either on NJ transit or SEPTA that has modelable freight industry alongside it so that i can "switch" this, and then display the electric trains properly.

by N-Trizzy2609

green_elite_cab wrote:Really need catenary to go with these models... but I'm thinking i'm not going to electrify this layout. Instead, i might build a module or something. Looking for a prototype either on NJ transit or SEPTA that has modelable freight industry alongside it so that i can "switch" this, and then display the electric trains properly.
Well if you just have a modual, wha'cha going to do with your 14 arrows, lol. Since you own more NJ DOT equipment, I think you should model the NEC around Trenton or Perth Amboy before alot of industries shut down. You're layout reminds me of the Perth Amboy area of the NJCL. What you choose to do, I'm sure it's going to look amazing.

As for me I finally decided on a doing a modular layout myself. I current own 7 Silverliner IVs and I just painted my RDCs in modern SEPTA stripes. What I'm going for is doing the Northeast Corridor through Darby, The Fox Chase Line if it still had Newtown and the Cynwyd Line. There's going to be two stubs for extension on the Fox Chase for Newtown and around the other end of layout, a turn out NEC so I can possibly manage to a maybe do the Airport Line. I'm thinking about selling my NJT stuff now since I'm going for SEPTA.
  by B44NYC

I have a question.

I found 2 brass (1 powered, 1 dummy) GEM model Silverliner I cars at a garage sale. I would like to paint and finish them in either Pennsy, Penn Central or SEPTA (haven't decided yet). Does anyone own a pair of these cars or have any recommendations on how to paint or decorate them? Google hasn't been any real help, as these have been out of circulation for a long time....

Also, the motor runs like crap....any suggestions on a replacement?

Thanks for any info
  by green_elite_cab

B44NYC wrote:I have a question.

I found 2 brass (1 powered, 1 dummy) GEM model Silverliner I cars at a garage sale. I would like to paint and finish them in either Pennsy, Penn Central or SEPTA (haven't decided yet). Does anyone own a pair of these cars or have any recommendations on how to paint or decorate them? Google hasn't been any real help, as these have been out of circulation for a long time....

Also, the motor runs like crap....any suggestions on a replacement?

Thanks for any info

I also own the Silverliner IIs. Sorry, i've been trying to repower them for years. Mike from IHP once offered to repower them, but I'll have to dig for the email he sent me (I'm sure he reads these boards so he may jump in).

As far as painting, I'm not sure what you mean. They came painted as Pennsyvlania Railroad (at least mine and the other ones i've seen have). If you REALLY want them done nice, use the Alclad II Chrome. A base coat of gloss black should be the first step, followed by three or four coats of the chrome. That seems to work well for imitating the Silverliner appearance.

Joe sells the necessary Penn Central and SEPTA decals.

Here is my set, I haven't really don't a lot of work on them. I got mine used for $40 and some one had already done some stuff to the interior. At least yours came with a motor!

by B44NYC

You got yours with interiors?? Nice...
I might see if I can grab a couple of old IHC coach interiors and modify them to fit inside the car.

I see yours has window glazing...what did you use or did they come that way?

I wonder if the old Athearn rubber band drive RDC could be modified to fit inside...thoughts?

As far as painting, I wanted a dull silver weathered look to the car.
  by green_elite_cab

B44NYC wrote:You got yours with interiors?? Nice...
I might see if I can grab a couple of old IHC coach interiors and modify them to fit inside the car.

I see yours has window glazing...what did you use or did they come that way?

I wonder if the old Athearn rubber band drive RDC could be modified to fit inside...thoughts?

As far as painting, I wanted a dull silver weathered look to the car.
I'm pretty sure someone yanked the interiors out of an old bachman Metroliner or Amfleet, since they look exactly alike.

The window glazing I'm pretty sure came with it, but its just blue/green tinted plastic. At least, the intact "in the box" one i saw last year look like the same as mine.

No, that would not work. The RDC is to short, and I don't know why you'd want to use that anyways, its not necessarily accurate or reliable. Right now, I'm thinking the best option would be two NWSL power trucks, with the frame reconfigured to accept them. the truck will fit in the hole, but there needs to be a new way to mount it.

As far as the paint goes..... As someone who sees these cars almost daily in Philadelphia (and has done a lot of research to boot!), they never look quite dull. any appearance of "dullness" is usually just due to the way the angle the light is reflecting off of them. They are ALWAYS metallic, never dull.

In reality, the Alclad Chrome doesn't make the model "Hyper silver", if that makes sense. It scales down when it comes to the model. Any overcoat, like Crystal cote, will tone it down without negating the metallic finish (dull-cote would make the alclad useless).

Finally, adding a thick band of grimy black to the roof (in line with the pantograph), and a light wash across the whole body, will definitely give the silverliner a "correct" appearance.
  by B44NYC

GEC....LOL...I only brought up the Athearn RDC because I got one sitting in a box in my basement. Truth be told, I'm going to use that RDC frame for a Walthers DC Metro car I found. If I lathe off the 4 steps, it sits right in the shell.

I would like to go the whole gambit and put in headlights, along with an interior, window glazing and revamp the power truck but we'll what the finances are after Xmas. I'm saving up for the Concor MP-54's.

Just seen the updated pics on their website...they look good.
  by green_elite_cab

Ah, there were a ton of DC Metro cars at the Mass Transit and Trolley Convention yesterday, including two powered ones for $100.

I've totally given up on those MP54s. I tell myself "hey, they only had a handful during the time I model, its not like I really need any". They'd still make a nice commuter train on my layout. Not that I don't like My own work, but its hard to beat factory made.
  by B44NYC

Doggone it! I completely forgot about that show!! I try to go every year and it is a good show to go to to get modelling ideas.

Anything good? You wouldn't remember who had those DC Metro cars for sale?
  by Cadet57

green_elite_cab wrote:Ah, there were a ton of DC Metro cars at the Mass Transit and Trolley Convention yesterday, including two powered ones for $100.
Oh man! I'd have loved to snatch those up. I've always wanted a set of them!
  by green_elite_cab

Wouldn't have done you any good, I was already guarding them for someone else, lol!
  by Cadet57

green_elite_cab wrote:Wouldn't have done you any good, I was already guarding them for someone else, lol!
A man can dream lol
  by shanemc921

Hey guys,

I'm selling 2 Walthers HO Septa Horizon Commuter Coaches and 1 Walthers HO Septa Horizon Commuter Cab.
Never been run, plastic was removed from box for display. Absolutely mint condition.
Let me know if your interested and we can work things out.

I have pictures, which I will send to interested buyers.

Thanks,
Shane