Railroad Forums 

• Senate Unanimously Approves Making Daylight Savings Time Permanent

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1594725  by BitterOldRRExec

I don't care if we stay on Standard or DS Time year round, just pick one so we don't have to go through the changing-the-clock silliness twice a year.

As a compromise how about changing the time only 30 mins instead of an hour for the last change and sticking with that, something halfway in between today's Standard and DS Times. There are already some places on the planet that are X:30 off of GMT so the concept is not unheard of.
 #1594735  by scratchyX1

BitterOldRRExec wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:14 pm I don't care if we stay on Standard or DS Time year round, just pick one so we don't have to go through the changing-the-clock silliness twice a year.

As a compromise how about changing the time only 30 mins instead of an hour for the last change and sticking with that, something halfway in between today's Standard and DS Times. There are already some places on the planet that are X:30 off of GMT so the concept is not unheard of.
Much of India, is offset by 30 minutes.
 #1594744  by R36 Combine Coach

Newfoundland has its own time, on the :30.
doepack wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:13 pm Writing the CTA schedule bulletins reflecting the spring forward and fall back time changes is a chore I'm looking forward to being rid of. Thankfully it only affects Blue & Red, the only 24 hour lines on the system.
NYCT also is 24 hours, but schedules (for subway lines) are usually in Spring/Summer (June) and Fall/Winter
(November/December).
 #1594749  by Ken W2KB

eolesen wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:29 pm I think Canada and Mexico might have issues with that... being on the same minute if not the same hour has a lot of efficiencies across the land border.
It does. Maximum efficiency with minimization of misunderstandings of appointment, departure and due times, etc. would be achieved if the entire world were to utilize Coordinated Universal Time ("UTC") as does aviation worldwide for those very reasons.
 #1594819  by John_Perkowski

Costa Rica is on DST, but still has a narrow range of daylight … ~12 hours daily.
Colón, Panama is standard time all year and has a very narrow range… within minutes all year long, ~12 hours.
 #1611789  by F40CFan

Sorry, but this is a really bad idea. It failed miserably and quickly in the 1970s. Children were going to school in pitch black conditions in the morning. I was one of them. It is best to keep standard time year-round.
 #1611800  by gprimr1

I disagree. Standard time all year means the sun comes up at 4:30am in the summer and sets at 7pm. People and businesses who enjoy the long summer evenings would be screwed over by standard time all year.

Standard time all year really only favors morning people.
 #1611838  by chrisf

F40CFan wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:39 pm I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Arizona has no trouble with standard time all year long and neither does Hawaii.
It works in Arizona because Arizona is at the western edge of the Mountain time zone and is almost as far south as you can go in the contiguous United States. For a city like Boston which is at the eastern edge of the Eastern time zone, sunrise in mid June would be at about 4:10am, with dawn starting at about 2:50am, and with sunset at about 7:20pm. Sunrise in Phoenix in June is about an hour later than Boston’s would be in standard time.
Hawaii has far less variation in length of daylight than states further north. Again using Boston as an example, the range of daylight in Honolulu varies by less than 3 hours over the course of the year. In Boston, there’s more than 6 hours of daylight length change from winter to summer.
 #1612006  by HenryAlan

F40CFan wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:27 pm Sorry, but this is a really bad idea. It failed miserably and quickly in the 1970s. Children were going to school in pitch black conditions in the morning. I was one of them. It is best to keep standard time year-round.
That depends where you live, but here in Boston, children are going to school in the dark even during standard time. The problem comes at the other end of the day, where they are also coming home in the dark if they play sports or do any other afterschool activities.
 #1612029  by gprimr1

That is very true. My parents live in Florida and in December, they get an extra hour of sunlight compared to here in Maryland.

In some ways, I think keeping things the way they are works. It might make sense for some southern states to switch to a permanent time, but for northern states, when people get off work at 5 or 5:30 and the sun sets at 7 under standard time in the summer, vs 9 under DST, it's going to suck.

And before anyone suggests it, asking people to switch their schedules to wake up earlier and enjoy the morning light is really no different than asking people to adjust their schedules twice a year for a change in the clock.
 #1613009  by n01jd1

Great. This is another issue that will divide us. You know since this was passed by a a house, senate and president, one third to one half of the country will stay on standard time just to own the libs. I can see huge protests and violence because these people will say their freedoms are being violated. We all saw the massive protests against masks which has more of an impact on a person's daily life than having to get a paper mask that costs pennies, heck, they will give you a mask if you need to visit someone or go for tests. I can also see TFG holding rallies to rail against the permanent DST to get his base outraged. This is going to be a huge mess come summertime or in November when we usually have the time changes.