• Selkirk bottleneck affects freight service

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by freightguy

There is an old fashioned labor-management dispute up in Selkirk yard upstate that is really hampering freight around the region. Trains are backed up across the Water Level Route and it is affecting the downstate region. It has even grabbed the attention of the folks in Jacksonville, FLA from CSX.

This certainly does affect the LIRR and NYAR. Obviously NYAR depends on the freight to service costumers around here. I think there is a backlog of close to maybe several hundred or even a thousand cars throughout the system.(not a solid number)

LIRR receives a good amount of material via this way. Alot of running rail and third rail, stone and even new toys(track cars,etc) come down from Selkirk. I haven't seen LIRR's fairly new welded rail train got out this year for rail. It is a long set of cars with brakets for strands of continuous welded rail(cwr).

Luckily the new M7's come via CP Rail from Plattsburgh,NY an intrastate move. CP Rail also snagged the stone(ballast) moves for the LIRR. I guess they gave a better rate than P&W. These cars come also come from a quarry upstate. Probably do a few hundred carloads with each season.

by DutchRailnut

This belongs not on LIRR forum but on NY&A forum or New York state forum, LIRR does not handle freight.
  by freightguy

Dutch, I stand corrected the LIRR doesn't haul freight. I only think they did this for around 163 years or so. That is longer than the D&H, B&O, and even Metro-North.Are you one of Otto's henchmen, he doesn't seem as cool as the bus driver on the "Simpsons." :wink:

by Long Island 7285

LIRR Handled its own freight till May 1997 when the state leased the LIRRs freight to NYAR. so this topic can fit on both bords. LIRR does haul its own things IE. Ballast hoppers, CWR cars, M1/7 flats both loaded and unloaded.

NYA does the costomer tingy that the LIRR along with the state wanted to get rid of. thanks to NYA that LI freight took a rebound from its all time low. but with the right investing and the right people in office LIRR might have more freight in the future. "Hey You NEVER Know"

by DogBert

it would make sense for this to be in the nya board me thinks...

I was thinking of posting about this topic there actually, but at least from casual observation the csx runs to and from fresh pond doesn't seem to have changed much in terms of car length/reliability (it's still running 6 days a week over hell gate) despite the selkirk fiasco.

I'm sure CP and NS (via cross harbor) could probably steal away some serious traffic if the problems persist. Thank god LI isn't stuck in the bad old days of just having CR and a near dead cross harbor to interchange with.