Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Mr Met

I saw 2 armed gards at the west islip yard on tuesday 8-24-04 any other
security at other yards on LI
  by JMBethpage

From my office window I have a clear view of Divide tower in Hicksville. This week it has been guarded by a 4 man unit with M-16s. Usually 1 soldier is up at track level and the other 3 patrol at ground level. I guess they have orders to shoot any hostile looking trains.

by LIengineerBob

All LIRR rail facilities/yards, major stations, interlockings and trains will have some type of security for the next several weeks. Whether it be MTA-PD, NYC-PD, National Guard, CIA, Secret Service, etc, etc, etc, heavily armed to top it off, will be someplace. Some will be seen, some won't. It's not a good week to go out railfanning. :(

by NIMBYkiller

Just got back from RFin Mineola with Emfinate, no one bothered us.
  by Head-end View

I saw what looked like a military helicopter flying low over the main line in Mineola yesterday. Anybody else seen this? I guess I better watch myself this week. I often drive a shortcut thru the big public parking lot behind Divide Tower and worse than that, I often walk past Nassau Tower on the (gasp!) public street that runs alongside it! All of this makes ya' wonder if it's worth having a political convention in New York nowadays. Maybe they should have it in Butte, Montana or Casper, Wyoming! :wink:

by emfinite

Nimby and I were in Mineola for the morning watching trains at the east end of the platform. We weren't bothered at all by the 2 armed guards next to the station house. I wound up in Jamaica too for a little joyride. There were more MTA police and armed guards on each platform then there were civilians and this was at 3PM.

by robertwa

For the last few days the security at Penn Station has increased tremendously. There seems to be a cop every 10 feet.

by Fla East Coast Chris

Speonk Yard has a unit stationed there during the day and midnight hours. Emfinite want a field trip?????
Chris
  by bagpiper516

[quote="Head-end View"]I saw what looked like a military helicopter flying low over the main line in Mineola yesterday. Anybody else seen this?quote]

Very often helicopter pilots (as well as private and even commercial planes) use railroad ROW's (as well as parkways and the shore) to navigate. That being said, in the times we live in, that helicopter could have actually been patrolling the main line. I'm not sure how a helicopter could prevent a train from being "disrupted", or worse, but seeing a presence that strong gives a sense of security.
  by CWRSNY

This is all because of the political party meeting in the city im sure...

And I live 1 block from the Carle Place station and I also have seen several heli's flying over the line

by krispy

And that's been going on for a long time. There's a large NY Nat'l Guard unit in Ronkonkoma, so you'll see lots of Uncle Sam's choppers flying the Mainline. Look for them on weekends, but they'll fly at all hours. They got much quieter and therefore more "out-of-mind" when they retired the Hueys. You'll see police and civilian medivacs more frequently than that on the same route, as it's usually the same pilots. News choppers usually hug the highways, and if you're at Jamaica during the rush hours with time to spare, you'll usually see several hovering over the Van Wyck or the Kew Interchange account of another (gasp) accident or traffic jam.

They used to guide on the Mainline up to Jamaica then use other landmarks depending on where they were going, such as the Maspeth Tanks (now missing). There's alot of trackage visible on the West end and have heard of folks getting confused with the old Far Rock Beach Branch with the Atlantic. Don't know what they use now...

by emfinite

Well today was an eventful day! I figured I would go over to Speonk again and make the place my own, so that's what I did! Rode right into the yard on 8732, hopped off and had another field day. The four armed guards didn't seem to mind me nosing around the yard at all with my tour guide. Even snapped some pictures and they didn't mind.

My tour guide also came to Riverhead with me to the Railroad Festival!

"Is this the train to Greenport?" , "Why yes!"

Had fun meeting everyone again today at Railfest!

by Fla East Coast Chris

What a great day!!! Met some people I only know here.. That Joe Emfinite sure has a great tour guide!! I think that tour guide should check out weight watchers this fall...
Chris

by NIMBYkiller

Geez Joe, 414 AGAIN!? Are you stalking it or is it stalking you?

by JOHN TRICARCIO

great pictures
now getting back to security
mmmmmm nice n.y.p.d. command center unit at 39th st and skillman ave
watching over sunnyside yard

good luck john tricarico brooklyn ny