Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Dave Keller

Check out this oldie taken at Patchogue depot, when the block office was in the depot and the calls were PG.

The "X" for the dispatcher is visible under the train order number and to the left of the date.

Dave

by BMC

The coffee shop is still in operation in the Jamaica building. When I got up to 204 back in 1979 the radios were hopelessly behind the times and computers were nowhere to be found. Nowadays, in their second floor complex they look like the "bridge" of a spaceship.

Part of the 204 complex is the main office for "MofE Central Control" so that they can confer with them on any mechanical problems. The "Equipment Coordinator" so that they can discuss rolling stock availabilty and swaps in terminals and the "Power Director" who controls third rail operations with a way cool layout board showing the status of it all.

Last I heard the Movement Bureau was going to move over to the new Airtrain building. Is that still a go Clem?

by LIRR272

If the railroad is broken into Sections A, B, C, & D, how come only the Section A Dispatcher answers as Section A? I have never heard the other sections answer "Section C or Section D".
  by Head-end View

While we're on the subject of old dispatching equipment, etc. maybe someone can answer this question: Why does the LIRR continue to use 12 hour time designated AM or PM? I'm surprised they haven't changed over to 24 hour military time. Wouldn't 24 hr. time be less prone to errors? It is used by most Police, Fire, EMS agencies. :wink:

by Long Island 7285

I been using 24 hr time since 6th grade, there’s nothing wrong with that, and that is one "improvement" that would be a plus for the LIRR. But then again, there are many that can't tell time with out that AM/PM in it and will be 100% lost in terms of 24hr time. with the 24hr clock it actually shows the day hour per hour. form 0:00hrs 12:AM to 23:59hrs, 11:59PM the actual hour of the 24 is depicted instead of the AM/PM.

by jayrmli

Haven't heard of any major errors by the LIRR in regards to 12 hour time. That's probably why they never changed it.

Jay

by BMC

While I agree that 24 hour time (navy style) would be better I also have to say there has been no problem with am/pm times ...so if it ain't broke don't fix it.

As far as Sections B-C or D on the radio, there are some very rare times when you will hear the train dispatcher on the radio usually when he wants to clarify something or the closest tower can't reach a train or unit.

Section A because of their control over the Port Washington branch will be heard more because they are doing the job of a block operator/train director.

by Form 19

The reason for the 12hr time is because of Rule No. 1..Eastern STANDARD time will apply. There is no provision for military, zulu or any other form of time in the version of the Standard Code of Operating Rules that the LIRR uses.

LIRR 272..having the Section Dispatcher control a branch without the customary intermediary, the Block Operator, is not the norm on the LIRR. They decided to have a Section Dispatcher control the Pt. Washington branch because the only tower that was available and historically controlled it, Harold, was closed. There was no other tower between Harold and Pt. Wash that was capable of assuming the duties that Harold previously performed. They cannot have PSCC control it because they are Zone A (NORAC) and Pt. Wash is Zone C (Standard Code). Jay Tower was the closet to Jamaica, but it is busy enough and the long term plan is to consolidate everything in Jamaica.

by Clem

Can't add much to these replies.

Elsewhere on the Railroad, crews seldom communicate with the Section Dispatchers, and normally communicate through a tower or call "204," the Chief Train Dispatcher on the bridge.

Only on the Port Washington Branch are crews instructed to contact a specific section dispatcher, that being "Section A Train Dispatcher". As they must get permission to enter or leave the yard in Port Washington, due to the unreliable and non-interlocked nature of the electric yard switches, you'll hear constant reference to "Section A Dispatcher" on the radio.

And, yes, the Rules require Eastern Standard Time. In such a passenger-oriented operation, there would be confusion vs. public timetables if military time were used. There is one rather exceptionally stupid manager who insisted on using 24 hour time until I drew his attention to Rule 1.

Mr. C, I do suppose that one day 204 will leave the building, probably when Jamaica Central Control opens in the new place. But there are the usual budget issues that change that projection each time I ask.

Clemuel

by RPM2Night

Clem, what time frame are they looking to open Jamaica Central Control? Is this going to eliminate all of the block operator towers, or some of them?

by Clem

That's a political decision that is far too difficult to guess. Last I've heard is that JCC is pushed back to 2010.

Clem
  by Head-end View

Thanks Clem; your reply re: the time rules make more sense than anything else I've heard here. Agreed, it would be a real pain for the crews to have to use 24 hour time talking to LIRR personnel and 12 hour time when dealing with passengers. That would add another dimension of complexity to an already difficult job. I should have thought of that............. :-)

by badneighbor

railroads have run on 12 hr time since the 1800s, why change now?

by RPM2Night

badneighbor wrote:railroads have run on 12 hr time since the 1800s, why change now?
You know how it is....no matter how proven something is, there will always be someone who will try...key word, try...to reinvent the wheel. The way things are going, I wouldn't be suprised if some genious decides to print the customer timetables in 24 hour time lol. Not only would it throw off the few thousand employees that work for the RR, but it would throw off the millions of commuters!

by Long Island 7285

Weather you use 24hr time or 12 time Eastern Standard Time is Eastern Standard Time.

E(zone)Standard Time, is the time were in now, not EDST Eastern(zone)Daylight Saveings Time which is in a few weeks(?)

so weather or not you say 9:30PM or 21:30hrs its it's till EST or EDST.