Railroad Forums 

• Seattle to/from question

• Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).
Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).

Moderator: lbshelby

#1540960  by theseaandalifesaver

Very often I see coal and oil trains heading north on through Seattle. Where are these trains coming from and where do they end up? I can't imagine that they could up from California.
 #1540980  by NorthWest

The coal trains come from the Powder River Basin in Wyoming and some might still come from Montana. They head up to Roberts Bank, BC to unload.

Oil trains are bound for the refineries at Cherry Point and Anacortes, with the exception of some Canadian oil trains that head south loaded. I'm not sure where those go.
 #1540987  by Rockingham Racer

NorthWest wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:04 am The coal trains come from the Powder River Basin in Wyoming and some might still come from Montana. They head up to Roberts Bank, BC to unload.

Oil trains are bound for the refineries at Cherry Point and Anacortes, with the exception of some Canadian oil trains that head south loaded. I'm not sure where those go.
SJVR at Bakersfield, for one.