Railroad Forums 

• SD40-3 rebuild program.

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#904324  by HBLR

So what are the details of this program? Will all of the SD40-2's be rebuilt, how many are all ready in the process, and how many are completed? It looks like they are getting a new cab and short hood, any information on that?
 #904367  by Bryanjones

currently there are 10 CSX SD40-3 rebuilds, #4000-4009. 20 additional units are reported to be rebuilt during 2011. Simply put, the locomotives are completely stripped to the bare frame with all components and wiring replaced by new or refurbished equipment. Trucks completely rebuilt. Any sheetmetal work which may be required is performed. The existing cab and shorthood are removed and replaced with newly fabricated noses and cabs from Wabtec. The new cabs already have new control stands w/computer displays installed. A new Q-Tron microprocessor package is installed as well. The end result is an essentially new locomotive.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY
 #904531  by roadster

They pretty much look the same on the outside with exception of the r/v style ac units on the cab roof.
 #904845  by JDM864

161pw165 wrote:Boy is that ugly.....
Probably more efficient for the crew, but a face that only a mother could love!
 #904867  by roadster

wow, that is different from the ones I've seen. I have seen a few with the same cabs, but with the RV A/C units on the roof and completely remodeled interiors, simular to the SD50-3 rebuilds. This is a different program than what I thought. As far as crew efficiency for the cabs, the GE's seemed to have slightly small door dimensions, but the interiors were about the same. Hope I get to check one out soon. I am intrigued.
 #906654  by roadster

being CSX is focusing on the rebuild program instead of buying new. I'd expect these to be in road service normally. There are always exceptions.
 #906817  by lvrr325

Very ugly, one wonders why you'd even try to make anything different than what they came with. I assume the cab replacement is for asbestos abatement, similar to NS's GP38-2 rebuild program?
 #907002  by HBLR

lvrr325 wrote:I assume the cab replacement is for asbestos abatement, similar to NS's GP38-2 rebuild program?
I was thinking that as well. As far as the HVAC units, i believe they are built into the ceiling/roof?
 #908589  by ckwwestshore

Well, I'd assume that because you're on the B&A, you have just as good a chance of seeing the one of ten that have completed out of a huge number that are slated for rebuild as seeing a regular SD40-2.
 #909362  by mmi16

CSX press release on the SD40-3 rebuild program
The rebuilding program will improve safety and performance of the aging SD40-2 fleet.

CSX’s SD40-2 fleet is approaching the end of its useful life. The company is implementing a program to rebuild the fleet, boosting the horsepower, technologic capabilities and safety of each unit.

“Current plans call for rebuilding 300 locomotives at a rate of about 40 per year,” said Gary Bethel, vice president-Mechanical. “The goal is to add another 25 to 30 years of useful life to these locomotives.”

Every system and component on the locomotive has been reviewed to determine if the components used on new locomotives would be an improvement in the performance, reliability, and maintainability of the locomotive. The improvements will include:

New crashworthy cabs
Heating and air conditioning systems
New control system
Positive train control
Modernized starting systems

The improvements will yield 3,000 horsepower, six-axle locomotives for the fleet. Their tractive power will increase from 86,000 to about 130,000 pounds, making them capable of doing the work of more modern high-horsepower units in all types of freight service including intermodal and coal.

The new crashworthy cabs are being manufactured by Motive Power in Boise, Idaho, and the rebuilding work is being done by the Huntington, W.Va., Locomotive Shop. “We determined that a new crashworthy cab is the right thing to do for the safety of our crews,” said Bethel. “We want to provide the safest work environment possible.” The older cabs were not suitable for modifications to meet crashworthy standards, he said.

“We have every confidence in the quality of work performed by the Huntington Locomotive Shop employees,” said Bethel. “The craftsmen there look out for each other and are proud of the work they are doing.”