Railroad Forums 

• SD26 and SD39 status

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#788381  by MEC407

Not looking good for the last two SD26s... it was reported on one of the Yahoo groups that both units are presently being stripped of various parts.

If any Santa Fe groups are interested in preserving an example of this unique locomotive, NOW is the time to act.
 #846736  by MEC407

Once those two are scrapped, that's it -- no more SD26s anywhere on earth.

I've said it before but I'll repeat it: if there are any Santa Fe organizations/museums/groups interested in preserving an SD26, act NOW.
 #853612  by CFD125

Last November 2009, I talked to Doug Steward, at Pam Am, on the phone for a while.

Every year I e-mail, or call him for a new calendar.

He doesn't know me from a hole in the wall, but he sends me a new calender, huge fold-out system map, and 5 or 6 back issues of the Clipper every year.

I told him that I finally got to see one of the SD26s at Erving station while I was on a motorcycle trip, and he said to me:
"what's up with all the interest in those engines? I have had so many people inquire about them"

He said a museum in either N. or S. Carolina was asking about getting one donated.

I told him that from a railfans point of view, they were a great catch.

I hope somebody gets one to preserve.
 #853789  by MEC407

Guilford Guy9887 wrote:What's the current status of the 4 sd39's. I'm building some sd39s and I'm looking for info
There is only one left (690), and it is out of service. The other three have been gone for a while now. See Page 7 of this thread for more info.
 #857277  by guilford88panam

Do you think the 690 will be back? I kind of doubt it because of the arrival of all the new SD40-2s. I wish they would throw her back in service though. To bad for the SD26's also, those were the coolest looking locomotives.
Tim
 #857291  by MEC407

See the latest edition of the company newsletter. They said they're getting rid of anything that isn't a GP40-series or SD40-series.
 #857547  by thebigham

From The Clipper:

Today we are in the process of purchasing an
additional ten (10) SD-40-2’s to fulfill our fleet upgrade
and standardization. Pan Am Railways currently
owns one hundred and two (102) locomotives
comprised of: two (2) GP-7’s, eight (8) GP-9’s, four
(4) GP35’s, fifty-four (54) GP40’s, twenty (20) GP40-
2’s, ten (10) SD40-2’s, two (2) SD26’s, one (1) SD39
and one (1) SD45.

The logic behind the purchase is to standardize
the fleet, while decreasing the average age and
increasing horsepower and reliability. After retiring
our remaining GP7’s, GP9’s, GP35’s, SD26’s, SD39
and SD45, the new roster will consist of fifty-four
(54) GP40’s, twenty (20) GP40-2’s and twenty (20)
SD40-2’s.

Contributed By:
William A. Wallace
General Manager of Locomotives