Railroad Forums 

• RV parking at Rochelle, IL railpark?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#1639132  by wirenut

I hope to visit the Rochelle, IL rail park this summer while on vacation. I will be pulling a 30' camping trailer. From looking at the parking lot on Google Maps it appears large enough for me to get in and turn around. I'm a former truck driver and pull trailers regularly so I'm not concerned about maneuvering.
However, when parked I will probably be occupying about 7 parking spaces. I don't know about the etiquette of that. Does anyone have any experience parking an RV at this location? Did management have anything to say about it?
Unfortunately, due to the timing of our travels we will probably be there on a Saturday afternoon which I would assume is probably a busy time.
 #1639140  by MACTRAXX

WN: Start by contacting the management of the Rochelle Railroad Park -
https://rochellerailroadpark.org
124 North 9th Street, Rochelle, Illinois 61063 - Phone: (815)562-7031

From looking at overview photos of the parking area there are 18 spaces north and 14 spaces south
along with at least two handicapped spots...There may be on-street parking available nearby that can
be an option - just make sure to check any posted signs for possible restrictions...Park Management
may be able to suggest a possible off-site location especially for a busy visiting day...

In Summer there is a Gift Shop at the RRP that is open 10 AM to 5 PM Wednesday to Saturday.
I had been seeking information on the RRP myself...This should help with your travel plans...MACTRAXX
 #1639144  by eolesen

Inside the lot, you've got maybe 55' of space to turn in assuming there's no other cars in the way. The couple times I've been there, the lot's been mostly empty, and if you needed to ask someone to move their vehicle, chances are you'll be able to find them.

With a fifth wheel and an empty lot... no problem. I pull a 30' travel trailer, and wouldn't try to take it in there unless I knew the lot was completely empty because I'm 55' with the truck and trailer, and would need a lot more room to turn than with a FW.

If you approach from the north, and you'll have a view of the lot to see what's there before you get in a bad spot. From the south, the museum/shop blocks your view of the parking lot.

Street parking.... not next to the museum. 9th Street has a raised center median stretching from north of the UP tracks to south of the BNSF tracks to prevent people from going around the gates, and it also means it's not the easiest of turns in/out of the lot.

North of the UP along 9th, there's gravel between the street and sidewalk, and the locals park on both sides. You might get lucky there.
 #1639151  by MACTRAXX

WN - On further review:
After looking at the RRP area overview I noticed that there is a location with ample space to park a large
vehicle about three blocks away which is easy walking distance from the RRP with sidewalks -
(One block N on 9th Street then two blocks E on Lincoln Avenue towards the 7th Street viaduct)

There is an antique/collectibles store named "Pickin' Station" located at 708 Lincoln Avenue (IL-38)
Rochelle, IL 60168 - Phone (815) 562-7915. Just east is the 7th Street Viaduct that carries IL-251 over
both railroads. From a streetview this looks to be a commercial area that may offer parking options...
The "Pickin' Station" building is easily identified by its bright red roof in any photos or overviews...

The "Pickin' Station" would be a MUST-stop for me on a visit to Rochelle especially being so close to
the Railroad Park - In this instance I would contact the store and find out not only their hours - I would
mention the situation and inquire further about parking an extra-length vehicle for a stop over...
I would try to avoid parking in a residential area and dealing with the ire of the locals if at all possible...
MACTRAXX
 #1639371  by wirenut

I called the rail park. I was told they have recently made changes to the park including the handicap ramp and something else. The parking lot is not a bit more cramped than it used to be. Also, she said that on Saturdays, as I suspected, the lot is usually full.
I managed to find a camp ground about 13 miles away. I'm going to drop the camper there and come back. That will allow my wife and daughter to stay there instead of sitting around to watch trains. That's not really there thing.
 #1642280  by spRocket

Also, I'd note that sometime late last year/early this year, signs went up that the park is closed between 10 PM and 7 AM.